LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2001, 06:59 AM   #1
elad
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

hi there
i just installed linux and i don't know how to install the video card. i have a 3dfx voodoo card.
can anybody help me?

appreciate it

Old 03-28-2001, 07:10 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Is it in the computer already physically installed or still unwrapped in the retail box? What distro are you using? That will help in us get your video installed.

Old 03-28-2001, 07:21 AM   #3
elad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs up the info

tricky kid
thanks for the effort.
i'm using red-hat 7.0.
the hardware is phisically installed and i also have a driver but i do believe that it is only suitable for windows
by the way, the problem which i have since i didn't mention it is that everything i see on the screen is too big as if it doesn't fit there. resolution $&!t or something.

hope this helps

Old 03-28-2001, 07:39 AM   #4
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Just need good details to get questions answered faster! What happens when you run Xconfigurator, your card should be supported with RH 7.0. If that doesn't work, you can try xf86config. And remember, linux is case sensitive at bash prompt. Type as you see above.

Old 03-28-2001, 07:51 AM   #5
elad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
thanks my friend i'll try this tonight hopefully won't have to get back to you on this subject.

Old 03-30-2001, 08:28 AM   #6
elad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Question

i tried that Xconfigurator and it didn't work. after filling in all the details i had to run startx but that just gave me an error message which i can't remember exactly at the moment (i'm in windows now 'cause i still didn't manage to connect through linux to the internet) but it said something about x server already running or maybe x terminal already running on server ...
and also by the way while configuring i was asked what are the horizontal and something else speed in hz. i have no idea what so ever and i do not have a guide for my screen.
it's a simple 17" PROVIEW screen.
what do i do?

Old 04-09-2001, 01:29 PM   #7
rdymek
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation

Well, the refresh rate in Hz is a very important part of the installation! What I would recomend, is first making sure you are selecting the proper video card (find out the exact chipset and such it is using -- you may need to check out the manual or even open the box up and look at the card itself). As far as the refresh rate -- that is specific to your monitor. You can either just select a generic monitor at like 1024x768 at 60Hz (most cheap monitors will do this) or my reccomendataion would be to look at the model number on the back of the monitor. Then look up your monitor on the internet and get the specs for all the info. With a Voodoo card and even a half-way decent monitor, you should be able to get the resolution up to 1024x768 (at least). This will allow the whole screen to be large enough for your apps. Hope this helps!

-Ryan