LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2001, 02:42 PM   #1
tternes
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Here is my situation:

I have a 30 GB hard drive with Windows 98. My second drive is split with a Windows ME installation and then a shared partition between the 98 and ME systems. I have another drive that I would like to install Red Hat 7.0 on and use Partition Magic to switch between the 3 operating systems.

I tried installing Linux on the 3rd drive with neither of the others attached. Boot Magic wouldn't start Linux when I did that, so I smartened up and hit the message boards. I learned about installing LILO on the ext2 partition, but that was only discussed on same-drive installations. I'm wondering what differences there will be for me since I'm installing Linux on a different physical drive than my other operating systems.

Thank you in advance to all who reply.

Old 04-15-2001, 05:26 AM   #2
KE1HA
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
tternes - I have a similar set to yours. Multiple hard drives with 3+ operating systems. What I found that works best for me is to have LILO install on the MBR boot sector of my primary drive. It's scary, if you make a mistake, that's all she wrote,,,believe me..I just made a "Big" mistake today. I was installing RH-7 Server edition, and it does things abit different (im sorry to say) than RH-7 Delux Edition. More and more though, (if i could talk the wife into it :-) ) Im using Linux more than the Win-Junk. KDE has came along way toward me shifting over completely. With the addition of Star-Office, I really don't have a reson the keep flopping back and forth between Win-Junk and Linux. If your a gamer, I guess Linux isn't the way to go really. Anyway, no need to drag this out, just wanted t let you know I have LILO controlling all my OS's, and until I do something "Stupid" (Like I did Today) all works very well.

Ohhh bye the way...My Win-Junk OS's are on one drive (Master 18gig Western Digital 10Krpm) and Linux in on the second (Slave - Piece of junk 12gig Bigfoot TX)...

Good Luck

KE1HA

[Edited by KE1HA on 04-15-2001 at 06:31 AM]