LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2000, 07:44 PM   #1
d_ttrain
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool

Hi Jeremy,
Jeremy, I saw that you are using VMWare. Can I assume you are using the express version? I am considering using this to run my Windows stuff under Linux. Do ALL peripherals work through the virtual Win98? Does it work with Windows ME? The main things I need to work are
A: SCSI Jazz Drive
B: IDE HP CD Burner
C: Deskjet (USB)
D: Laserjet 4P (Parallel)
E: USB Flash Card reader (digital camera)
F: OnStream tape drive (parallel port, uses twain driver)
If these peripherals will still work then I will go ahead with it. What about my existing windows partiton? It's on the same physical drive as Linux. Can I keep it (meaning will Linux be able to access it with VMWare) or will I have to reinstall Windows using VMWare and re-setup all of my peripherals? If you would rather I asked VMWare about all this just let me know, but I would rather ask someone that has used it, since you will be more likely to tell me if there are issues using it. Thanks bro!

Old 12-27-2000, 01:16 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
To tell you the truth I never heard of vmware express. I just looked at the vmware site and it looks like things have changed quite a bit since I looked last. I am using plain old vmware, not sure what version that works out to, but it looks like it is probably express. The way vmware works it only supports what the underlying OS supports. This means that unless you have USB support in your Linux kernel you will not be able to use it in vmware.