LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2000, 05:49 AM   #1
revelation
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Good Morning,
I just installed Mandrake 7.2 and configured my kppp the way that I have done many times with other distros. This is the first time I have had this problem. I can dial out and connect to my ISP, but I can't get to any websites. I can connect, but that is it. No email, no nothing. Any suggestions???

Old 11-22-2000, 09:18 AM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
Did you make sure that DNS is setup?

Old 11-22-2000, 07:54 PM   #3
revelation
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Yes, even checked with my ISP to make sure I had the correct DNS numbers. I checked it again when I got home and was able to connect. A few minutes later I tried again and it would not go through. Wierd.................

Old 11-24-2000, 06:18 PM   #4
torp

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Solaris10, Suse

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sometimes Red Hat (Mandrake is build uppon it) has the same problem.
It can be solved by giving the ppp device an Ip adress
e.g. 192.168.x.x this ip adress beginning whit 192.168 are invissible adresses so you can be shure that no one else has the same adress as you..
Anyway it work on Red Hat and since Mandrake is build oppon Red Hat it might be an ide

Regards Torp

Old 11-25-2000, 05:49 PM   #5
revelation
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I did get it to connect, but not with KPPP. I set up PPP to connect when the system boots into Linux. It does connect, and I can get on the internet. I know that it is not as conveneint as KPPP, but it works.......
I am now having another problem. When in Windows ME, the modem wants to pick up the phone like it is getting a FAX or something. I tried to update the drivers, and I even re-loaded Windows from scratch. I think it is just a "windows" problem, but I can't just leave the machine with Linux because I don't have my wife converted yet. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?????

Old 12-07-2000, 02:37 PM   #6
drclaw
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

I had the same problem the other day when I did a fresh install. Couldn't connect even though it would dial on. I thought DNS too, but that was ok as well. One time I tried it and I got on and was able to browse. It's worked ever since.

Old 12-07-2000, 06:29 PM   #7
Larry James

Distribution: Ubuntu, Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 40
I hate to make an understatement that would have already been done, but sometimes the most obvious is missed.
Try seting the modem to it's factory settings when you're in Windows. Go to a terminal program and type at&f. This has fixed those type of problems for me many times.
I'm thinking this might be a consideration because you say the modem works okay when in Linux. Most likely Linux us setting the modem options automatically and the defaults are changed. Bringing the modem back to the defaults may fix the Windows problem. We'll hope that Linux will always configure the modem at it's optimum when you go back to the other side.

-- L. James