LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2001, 10:37 AM   #1
skotzko
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Hey ppl. I got linux working well on my old computer (i fixed my XWindows problem) and ive got it working but i cant seem to get the sound to work. Ive got SUSE 7.0 and I followed the directions I had in the SUSE linux for dummies book, about editing lines in the conf.modules file and loading a module, but I wasnt sure which module to load. The computer, when it ran windoze, had just plain old Sound Blaster 16. How do I get the sound to work? Any help is much appreciated!!

Andrew

Old 01-19-2001, 10:41 AM   #2
skotzko
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
by the way, i tried the YaST2 setup tool (the easy one for suse) and it found the Creative Audio sound card. but then it said:

"The kernel module snd-card-sb16 for sound support could not be loaded". Whats that mean? Also on the side, it said I should "check if Ive correctly installed the ALSA package (from the series snd)and that I am running this as root". Im in root, but help!! THanks!

dre

Old 01-22-2001, 11:56 AM   #3
chay
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Cool mmmm seems like compiling new kernel

Hi!,

It seems like you have to compile the kernel (your actual kernel don't have sound support, i think), go to the src/linux and type "make config" or "make xconfig". You will have to read the README file (in the src/linux) and the sound howto for your card. The howtos are available at http://www.linux.org

I have to do that, some time ago. I think it would be easy, just to make a kernel with sound support for sb16 (could be module or built in).
Good luck.

Saludos!

Old 02-21-2001, 08:07 AM   #4
ft2088
LQ Newbie

Smile Soundblaster 16

Hi

I had a similar problem ,try logon as root then run
sndconfig ,you can then set the correct parameters for your sound card.

You should get No Pnp or PCI Sound cards were found etc
press OK ,then select Sound Blaster 16 from the list
press OK

In My case i selected I/O port 0x220 ,IRQ 5,Dma 1 was 0
Dma 2 was 5,Mpu I/O was 0x330

One its all selected you will get a File exists message
Once you have read the message press OK ,file is written

Then your drivers should be set up.

Regards

Tony

Old 02-23-2001, 02:13 PM   #5
KevinJ

Distribution: Redhat v8.0 (soon to be Fedora? or maybe I will just go back to Slackware)

Rep: Reputation: 30
Running sndconfig

Just a note.. but on both Mandrake and Redhat, I could only run 'sndconfig' if my X-server was not running. I had to boot into run level 1 or 3 to get it to work. Then I could go back to run level 5.