LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2001, 07:49 PM   #1
Gaz_za
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Hi to everyone out there out there in linux land,
I have a story to tell of woe and despair regarding an installation of RH 7.1
It all started when we were trying to install a d-link dfe-530tx NIC onto our pentium 100 which we hope to use as a web/mail server.
We had RH 7.0 installed(mouse and O.S. worked perfectly)but could not get the drivers to install the card(so much for the manufacturers claim that it comes with software support for linux)
So we decided to install RH 7.1 since we thought it will have the updated driver needed for the
d-link dfe-530tx NIC
however the installation has not gone to plan.
We have a problem whereby the mouse pointer has frozen when we bring up the gui interface.
During installation we optioned a generic 3 button mouse serial(which we have), and to emulate a 3 button mouse.
I also configured ethernet settings that may be incorrect, however it is not physically hooked up to the network yet.
I have installed twice with the same problem
The error message box states: no response to the save yourself command?
Any one have any ideas as how to fix this hiccup?

TIA
Gary

Old 05-10-2001, 12:14 PM   #2
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
if you have a three button mouse, why the 'emulate 3 buttons'? that's only there for us little munchkins with only two buttons!

have you tried the manifacturer's site? they might have either install instructions or new drivers.

if not, is there maybe a generic driver you could use?

Alex

Old 05-10-2001, 07:33 PM   #3
Gaz_za
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
thanx

thank u 4 your reply Alex,

changed mouse configuration as suggested, still no joy.
encounted other major dillemmas as well so, have decided to go back to RH 7.0 and start from there, whereby we had a working system.
hopefully we will find a NIC card(any compatable card suggestions welcome that will fulfil our requirements), and send the other one back!

have a good one
gary

Old 05-11-2001, 01:25 PM   #4
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
Wink

unfortunatly here in britain everything costs a bloody fortune so little fourteen year old boy can;t afford an ethernet card or nething frivilous like that for a home network so i can't offer any help there. however, you might want to try http://www.linuxdoc.com and look at the hardware-howto which shows supported hardware in linux (not completely comprehensive but close). that should helpl you get one that will work (and might point you in the direction for advice in getting it to work)

red hat 7.1 did have some probs (bugs etc). the earlier versions are better (make sure you have all the patches).

as for the mouse i have no idea, generic drivers tend to work for pretty much all mice. try updating xfree (i think that it's at 4.0.3 or something like that).

Alex

Old 05-13-2001, 11:56 PM   #5
Gaz_za
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanx Alex for the web address and associated info.
u certainly have a lot of knowledge on linux for a fourteen year old.
i will start a new thread re: kernel module for D-Link
DFE-530TX NIC
cheers
gary