LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2001, 04:35 PM   #1
timothytrespas
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Help.
I am trying to set up a basic linux system with dial-up access to my Att.Worldnet.net account.
The install process went smoothly (thank god).
While trying to set up TCP/IP i got about as far as setup.
First: Querie modem returns 'no modem found'
How do I get linux to recognize my modem?
My modem is configured to com 4 by default when I run windows. It has no jumpers, is an O.E.M.
no-brand modem running @ 54000kbs. I have no information about it (the modem) and have no install
disk or drivers for it. It also has no jumpers on it so I assume it is configured via software.
So, if I can get linux to talk with my modem, I would like to set it up to connect to the internet via a dial-up ATT/WORLDNET account.
Dont I need to know the DNS (domain name server) address?
Also I need to understant how/what to name my machine via HOSTNAME ?
Also don't I need to configure the HOSTS file? if so, how.
do I input the host name and the IP address?
do I have to have at least 2 entries? 1 being the ?/worldnet/att/net name and IP numeric address, the other being the local loopback address? (127.0.0.1) and the machine name?

I am new to linux ( haveing never used it ) I bought a copy of OPENLINUX 2.2 with a BIG book called
'QUE,special edition, USING CALDERA OPEN LINUX'.
Right away, I'm hooked.
So any help is a god-send. thank you.
timothytrespas
tim@trespas.com

Old 05-16-2001, 06:04 PM   #2
Dallam

Distribution: SuSE 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi,
You may have to try to find out some more infomation about your modem. If your modem used software for drivers under windows, then it is what is referred to as a winmodem. Depending what type of winmodem it is, you may be able to use it with linux. If not, you will have to replace the modem with one compatible with linux.
Perhaps you can check with the computer manufacturer as to what modem they used, or check the systems specs on the net. once you find out what modem it is, check out this site and see if it will work with linux.

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/20010302a.html

Hope this helps some,
Dallam

Old 05-16-2001, 07:39 PM   #3
timothytrespas
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry ok,mabey the modem is not the problem...

thanks for the response.
i dont think it is the modem. if it works under windows with the winmodem drivers it SHOULD(?)
work under linux with whatever modem driver they provide. Does linux 2.2 provide modemdrivers
or scripts i can just use?
next... I was pokeing around the /etc/config files and also the "kernel" setup via the kde desktop.
checking to see what moduals are loaded, i found hfmodem was not. i tried to add it using the 'add' button but to no avail. I was told that hfmodem can not be found? whats up? when I installed linux i chose the basic install ( all required files). how do i load support for a modem?
how do i write a script to tell the modem what to do?
do I need to reinstall linux? I know this is some real basic stuff here but this is about 2 days and 15-20 chapters new to me.
What about setting the hostname ( I used host.creative.com)
also my ethernet card needs to be configured (for future use, i have no network yet, but if I can get this up and running...)
also, how do I configure the printer ( i have an hp deskjet) and the cdrom icons on the desktop to work. now they awnser,'devise not found.
anyway any step by step help you can give me would be excellent.
help...
thank you.
tim@trespas.com

Old 05-17-2001, 07:21 AM   #4
Dallam

Distribution: SuSE 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi,
I think probably the best thing to do at this stage is to sit down and do some reading. Take on thing at a time (maybe starting with the modem) and read all the documentation concerning identifying the modem and setting it up...work that out and then move on to the next. Try to familiarize yourselt with your new system. It took me about 3 weeks to get my sound worked on when I first got linux, still working on some other things as well. I guess I just can't stress enough how important reading all the info pages and man pages are...
Also, Doesn't your Distro have a site where they have a support database with FAQ and such? Thats always a great resource.
Dallam

Old 05-18-2001, 05:20 PM   #5
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
if it has software for windows it won;t work in linux because the card itself is barely a modem. there arent really drivers for modems since they are usually self contained with everything needed to dial to a computer and modulate/demodulate the signal hardwired into the chip itself.

just get an externel one. they work brilliantly with pretty much no setting up and it is alot easier than trying to get a winmodem to work.

to connect to your isp (via a mofem and ppp) you need to know their DNS server ip address. this will be in the configuration options in windows (unless it uses the automatic setting). you also need to know the name of the server (mine is ntlworld.com, yours is probably Worldnet.net). you also need the dial up telephone number and obviously your user name and password.

HOSTNAME doesn;t have to be any thing specific (mine is localhost.localdomain the default that came with the install). neither do you need to fiddle in HOSTS either. the loopback option should be set already (and that is needed there so don;t delete it [incase you get the urge]).

as for the thingy not being found. its becaues when you compile the kernel, you create the modules at the same time that are needed (these obviously didnl;t come with the stock kernel on your system). you need to recompile the kernel before that will work.

if you don;t understand that, look in your book. it'll explain everything.

Hope that helped clear things up slightly

Alex

P.S. or maybe i just helped muddy the water?