LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2001, 02:31 PM   #1
bedwardj
LQ Newbie

Distribution: None for now

Rep: Reputation: 0
port forward over ssh

I've got a linux box setup up as a firewall with a LAN behind it. The LAN is a peer-to-peer Win98 network. My boss wants to have access to the LAN from home running a Win98 remote machine.

The way I'm approaching it now...

I've got sshd setup on the office linux box.
I've got TeraTermPro with ssh patch on a remote Win98 machine.
The ssh connection works fine.

I've also got smb running on the office linux box.
Is it possible to forward the netbios-ns (or netbios-dtm) port from the remote machine to the office (or vice-versa)? Would I be able to then "Map to Network Drive" a share of the office LAN to the remote machine?

I know you have to be root to access the priviledged ports (<1024). Is sudo an option here and how would I implement that?

I know PPTP is an option, but everyone seems to bash it with its security holes. I also know that freeswan is an option, but the install seems overwhelming to my newbie brain. I also don't want to hose the set-up of the office machine to experiment with freeswan.

Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2001, 04:07 PM   #2
jrmann1999

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Maybe an easier way than forwarding the entire smb requests would be to simply smbmount a drive mapping that you want explicitly shared(also a great way to track who's doing what on which drive). I've done this a bit when I needed access to my MS box from school, the only problem I've found is that sometimes with idle taken into effect my drive mapping magically *disappeared* and I had to unmount/remount. I'm sure this could be solved with a simple cron script that touches some file on the drive. Just thought I'd suggest this option though.

J