LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2001, 09:14 PM   #1
KevinJ

Distribution: Redhat v8.0 (soon to be Fedora? or maybe I will just go back to Slackware)

Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy

I don't know how many of you have heard this... but Slackware is being dropped. (At least for the very near future)

Slackware was part of Walnut Creek (the folks behind http://www.cdrom.com). Then Walnut Creek was purchased by BSDi (a leading disributor of FreeBSD solutions).

Now, Wind River (http://www.windriver.com) has "aquired the assets" of BSDi (I don't know if thats different than purchasing them, but thats how it was written).

Wind River has decided to let go of the Slackware Linux project. Patrick Volkering(sp?), the orginator of Slackware, has stated that he would like to continue developing Slackware, but he doesn't have the funds to do so. He thinks he might have enough to get the next version with 2.4.x kernel out the door, but that might be it.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...7-014-20-NW-SL

http://www.slackware.com/forum/read....&i=7887&t=7887

http://lwn.net/2001/0419/dists.php3

Old 04-21-2001, 09:34 AM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
While it is true that Wind River has dropped Slackware, I don't think you'll see Slackware go away anytime soon for a couple reasons (although it would be EXTREMELY sad to see them go). First Patrick Volkerding is one of the most dedicated guys you will ever see. He has stated that their is enough money to keep the subscriptions going, he just doesn't think there is enough money to pay anyone. Another thing is that Slackware has one of the most loyal followings around. I think they will step forward and keep Slackware alive. I guess only time will tell for sure though...

Old 04-23-2001, 12:51 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Oh man, I hope they keep Slackware alive, its one of only two of the distro's I usually ever use. If not, then oh well.
They should not make it so much a distro but more like Debian, non-distro and totally volunteers.

Old 04-23-2001, 01:59 PM   #4
KevinJ

Distribution: Redhat v8.0 (soon to be Fedora? or maybe I will just go back to Slackware)

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Slackware's future

Slackware was one of the few commercial distro's that actually turned a profit. They started the subscription system and have developed a very loyal following. However, it will be very difficult for them to remain a commercial entity given the present economic climate.

However, think about what a Linux distro is. Putting Slackware together as a distribution was a big task. But all a distribution is, is the Linux kernel, and install routine, possibly a package management system, and a collection of applications and utilities.

The truly unique parts of a system are its install routine and package management system. There is not reason that even if Slackware has to go into hibernation as a distro, that these things can not be maintained until the climate is right to raise the distro "from the dead" .. so to speak.