LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2000, 01:50 PM   #1
newguy1976
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs down

I just installed the OS and I am trying to get the NIC working. I have configured the card to have a valid public IP, gateway, and DNS settings. I don't expect the machine to get out on the Internet because the DNS entries for the PC are pending. However, shouldn't I be able to ping the gateway, DNS servers, and my own address?

I also have some questions about linuxconf/basic host configuration. Would it help to manually assign an IRQ and an I/O port? How about the Kernel module?

Always willing to learn,

newguy1976

P.S. This site f*&^in' rocks!!!!!

Old 12-29-2000, 12:23 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
Without DNS you should be able to ping anything by IP address. Sorry, I really can't help with the linuxconf questions. I have only used it once and it was about a year ago. Someone else should be able to help though.

Old 01-18-2001, 03:06 PM   #3
torp

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Solaris10, Suse

Rep: Reputation: 15
Exclamation

When ever submitting a question in this forum it is a wery good idea to tell which type of hardware you are having a problem with, and which Linux Distribution you are using.

But back to you'r question:
If you'r having a pci network device (And linux is able to find it during install)it should not be nessecery to manualy configure IRQ and I/O for it.
If you'r net device is an ISA card it might be possible that you have to do so.
B.t.w are you able to ping you'r own machine????
Hope this could solve some of you'r problems

Regards Torp