LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2001, 01:18 PM   #1
Deceiver
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 0
networking, in general

Here is my setup:

I have a laptop running Red Hat 7 using a wireless ethernet card (802.11b) in ad hoc mode. It connects to a desktop computer (RH6.2) with the same type of wireless card. The desktop also has a regular ethernet card connected to a switch to the outside world. There are other devices on the switch. I can get the desktop and laptop to talk to each other, but I can't get the laptop to communicate to the other devices on the switch via the linux desktop computer. They all are part of the same network, so they all have the same network ip.

Is it possible for the laptop to communicate to these other devices even though they have the same network ip? I've been playing with the routing tables and reading up on networking, but I believe that the stuff on the switch including ethernet card part of the 6.2 system should have a different network ip for the proper routing to take place.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need any additional info, I can probably provide it.

Old 06-29-2001, 01:30 PM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
Uhm... I would be tempted to put the wireless cards on their own subnet, then make your desktop machine route between its two interfaces and set it as the default gateway for your laptop.

Either that or I think this is where you would use a bridge... although I have no experience of them myself. Have a look at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/BRIDGE...WTO/index.html it might hold some answers for you.

good luck!

Jamie...

Old 07-02-2001, 07:37 AM   #3
Deceiver
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I don't think I want to mess around with bridges. I don't think this is what I'm looking for. I'll try putting the wireless devices on a different subnet. Is there anything anything special I have to do on the desktop computer to make it do the routing from the wireless interface to the wired interface?

Any other suggestions?

Old 07-02-2001, 07:51 AM   #4
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
I think you'll just be able to get away with
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
and then setting it as the default gateway.

HTH

Jamie...