LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2001, 11:00 PM   #1
theunicorn
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

I am very new to Linux. I have installed Linux 7 onto a seperate hard drive. For fear of overwriting anything on my Windows harddrive(primary), I took the drive out prior to installation of Linux (set as secondary after install -not slave to primary). I put the primary harddrive back in and hook up linux as the secondary harddrive and windows boots fine but I can't seem to get into linux using Lilo which is what I read was supposed to come up. Should I have kept the C drive in while I installed on the second harddrive? Did the Linux harddrive get configured to think it was the only harddrive on the system? If I was to reinstall Red Hat and Leave the Windows drive in this time, what do I do when it comes to the partitioning part of the install? Will it try to partition my windows hardrive too?? My thought is that Lilo just doesn't know that Windows exists because Linux got installed without the Windows hard drive being attached to the system. Should Linux be set up as a slave to the primary instead of as a secondary hard drive?? What I am trying to achieve is the ability to boot either hard drive without having to mess around with switching the wires all the time or creating partitions on my windows drive for Linux. I have tried to use Loadlin as well and it does work great but the Linux drive errors on a few things (ie swap drive no longer exists - this is what leads me to believe that the drive thinks it is the only one). I also had to change the linux.bat to say /dev/hdc5 instead of /hda5. Any help would be appreciated.

theunicorn

Old 05-06-2001, 04:22 AM   #2
lynch

Distribution: SuSE 8.1,Knoppix 3.2,Mandrake 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
I think you should have left the win98 hdd in there because the bootloader should be installed on the Master Boot Record(MBR)when you dual-boot.If the linux hdd is set as secondary master you should have it read as hdc(x).I'm pretty sure you can set it up the way you describe as long as you leave hda(win98)installed as primary master.
There may be some hacks you can perform to fix this,(without having to reinstall Linux)but that is outside my present scope of knowledge.
When I first tried linux,I went with the dual-boot(Win98/MDK7.1)method,but quickly grew tired of it.Now I have mobile hd trays installed in all my computers and with extra hdd cassettes to hold different OSes.I mostly use Mandrake7.1 for my everyday computing needs,but I have the option to switch to WinNT4 wkstn on one comp and swap WinNT svr or Win2K Pro on another comp.This is because I am taking some Networking courses that use the Windows OSes.Otherwise I would probably have a pure Linux network.
Sorry that I digress.Hope this reply has been of some help
lynch

Old 05-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #3
theunicorn
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I said the h*** with it and took the risk last night of losing my windows 98 harddrive by reinstalling Linux with the Windows hardrive in. It works great :-) I sat for a tense hour while it installed hoping it wasn't doing anything to C: drive but after all was said and done, I finally have the lilo window coming up after boot and have even figured out how to change it from dos to win98.
Thanks again tho.