LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2001, 12:27 PM   #1
Shoki
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

I have two hard drives and I am wanting to just format one of them and install only Linux on it. I want to be able to decide which one to boot up at boot time. I will be using Linux only occassionally. What is the best solution under these circumstances?
jim

Old 05-30-2001, 12:43 PM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
If I were you I would remove the existing partitions on the second hard disk and install Linux there. Install LILO to your MBR , then when you boot you will get the LILO: prompt where you can choose either Windows or Linux. I've got mine set to time out after 5 seconds and boot Windows which is convienient for my needs...

HTH

Jamie...

Old 05-30-2001, 01:28 PM   #3
Shoki
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smile

So, install linux on hd2(the one without Win98) and then install LILO on the MBR of hd1(the drive with Win98)? I am installing either Mandrake 7.2 or Redhat 6.1. Do these come with a tool or way to install LILO on the MBR of hd1?
thanks,
jim

Old 05-30-2001, 01:31 PM   #4
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
The MBR is the boot record of the first hard disk....

Yeah they will come with LILO and should give you the option to install to the MBR somewhere in the installation phase. Can't tell you exactly where as I'm from the Slackware camp.

Jamie...

Old 05-30-2001, 01:38 PM   #5
Shoki
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Wink

Thanks, I will give it a try!
jim