LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2001, 04:01 AM   #1
kgswa
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

I have set up my system with PowerQuests' Boot Magic booting a number of OS's, and all worked fine until I tried to install Mandrake--which I could not get to boot.
My disks are on a Promise controller ATA66--is this an issue?
Will LILO take a back seat to Bootmagic in a multiboot environment--or should I be booting Madmandrake with a different ldr--such as grub?
Linus partition is the 1st primary partition on my second disk. The installation also corrupted Win2K's paging file, which caused it to "hang" in booting to the point that I restored an image of the OS as it seemed as if it was never going to finish booting. Win 2K is in the 1st primary partition on my first disk.
Does anyone know what the h*** is going on ?
Thanks for ANY help!

Old 06-06-2001, 04:32 AM   #2
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Not if it already wasn't :-]

Quote:
Will LILO take a back seat to Bootmagic in a multiboot environment
Yes. But only if u install LILO into the root of the Linux partition. Then choose that partition from Bootmagic and itll work. (Works for me)
Boot into Morondrake with a bootfloppy and make sure Lilo is installed where its sposed to be. Check lilo.conf for the right boot/root parameters. If unsure run "Lilo -t -v" this will have Lilo perform a dry run to show u what its got in mind. If u change things in lilo.conf dont forget to run lilo to set the changes.

Quote:
The installation also corrupted Win2K's paging file
Unless ure dead sure its the paging file I suggest booting W2K with /sos /bootlog /debug to see whats really going on. If its the pagefile, delete it & itll build a new one.

Old 06-06-2001, 04:45 AM   #3
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kgswa
I have set up my system with PowerQuests' Boot Magic booting a number of OS's, and all worked fine until I tried to install Mandrake--which I could not get to boot.
Will LILO take a back seat to Bootmagic in a multiboot environment--or should I be booting Madmandrake with a different ldr--such as grub?
Linus partition is the 1st primary partition on my second disk. The installation also corrupted Win2K's paging file, which caused it to "hang" in booting to the point that I restored an image of the OS as it seemed as if it was never going to finish booting. Win 2K is in the 1st primary partition on my first disk.
Does anyone know what the h*** is going on ?
Thanks for ANY help!
I don't know how MDrake could have corrupted your y2k paging file, but I don't use mandrake. And I don't use w2k as I still can't find a way to get the greasy stain off my immortal soul. There are some issues with w2k, but I have no idea what they are.

I do have reasonable amount of experience with the Promise ATA/66 'trollers tho. Can you boot your installed Linux system with a floppy or CD?

Did you do something kooky like build a new kernel without the Promise controller support? I know of somebody (a friend of a friend )who has done that a couple of times with the promise and once with reiserfs. It doesn't make for a very entertaining bootup. and it's a little humiliating.

Old 06-06-2001, 11:54 AM   #4
kgswa
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thx for the help folks :-)
Unfortunately Promise only writes drivers for RedHat 6.2--would these be appropriate for Mandrake? In my windows installations I have always provided drivers for this ATA66 card--but it was not listed in Mandrakes SCSI menu during
installation.

Old 06-07-2001, 04:54 AM   #5
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
have a look here under "Note" for how to pass the extra parameters to the lilo boot process. an unpatched kernel-2.2x should work fine, these drivers arent mandrake or deadrat's, theyre in the kernel (which isnt owned by a vendor)

Old 06-07-2001, 12:25 PM   #6
kgswa
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, unSpawn, for your help! :-)
I physically reconfigured my sys to place the drive with MadMoron as pri-1, hd#1`-and it booted without any prob, so the issue of the card is indeed, moot.
I understand from my searching that I am going to have to change LILO to have it boot from pri-1, hd#2, by editing LILO.conf. I have tried to do this, but have some confusion about the Linux drive designations: hda ahould be drive 1, but I remember that during the installation the partition I made with Partition magic was referred to as "hdg1" which according to the conventions of Linux would be the 1st partition of the 7th drive (if drive 1 is hda). This is obviously as newbie question and by now you must know that I am such an animal--but I would like to establish this now--How does Morondrake designate drives: starting at hda or ??--and is there a default system for all Linux kernels for designating drives? Thx again!

Old 06-07-2001, 08:34 PM   #7
unSpawn

issue "cat /proc/partitions" gives u a list of all partitions on all hd's u got, it also shows the filesystem type, 3 is vfat and 33 is ext2fs. since W2K is on ure 1st hd's partition itll show up something like "/dev/hda1 3".

about designation ure right, linux starts it with:
hda=1st master hd
hdb=1st slave hd
hdc=2st master hd
If mandrake would do it any other way theyd be in trouble :-]

if uve edited lilo.conf and are unsure if its correct n all, just issue "lilo -t -v" this will have lilo do a dry run, kinda diagnostics.

Old 06-07-2001, 11:53 PM   #8
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kgswa
Thx for the help folks :-)
Unfortunately Promise only writes drivers for RedHat 6.2--would these be appropriate for Mandrake? In my windows installations I have always provided drivers for this ATA66 card--but it was not listed in Mandrakes SCSI menu during
installation.
I thought they were part of the kernel since 2.2.16? I've been using it in SuSE for a while now. Mebbe you can patch it? I tried the redhat-release promise driver and it bombed on me.