LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2001, 08:10 AM   #1
Alchemist
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 0
X

I cant seem to get the mouse to work, at least that is what I think I have narrowed it down to. When I try to go into X it loads up fine, but the mouse will go all crazy when I try to move it. The catch is that the mouse will work fine at the console.

Old 06-28-2001, 11:30 AM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
From the console run XF86Setup again and reconfigure your mouse. The console mouse is driven by gpm so it may work fine even when the X mouse is screwed!

HTH

Jamie...

Old 06-28-2001, 01:07 PM   #3
Alchemist
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
XF86...

I have ran xf86config and made every selection possible in there and nothing seems to work I have even tried to go from KDE to Gnome thinking that was the problem. Still nothing. I have tried to go into xf86setup cause I thought tha tit might be something different and it wouldnt let me in, I think because it has to do with my video card (VooDoo 3 2000 AGP). I am stilll trying to figure out the video card thing so that I may be able to runxf86setup maybe.

Old 06-28-2001, 01:31 PM   #4
jharris

When you run XF86Setup do you choose to use your existing XF86Setup file for defaults? If so try it without using it for the defaults. As for the Voodoo3 I'm using a Voodoo3 3000 (also AGP) without problem.

What type of mouse you using (trying to use?)

Jamie...

Old 06-28-2001, 01:45 PM   #5
Alchemist
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Mouse and stuff

I went through that either way it still wouldnt come up, it would but it would be at the top of the screeen, adn you couldnt make anything out. I have tried changing some of the resolutin settings in XF86config jsut to see and nothing still. I am currently using an MS wheel mouse optical USB with the usb-ps/2 connector on it. I have a few serial mice and some other ps/2 (unfortunately all ps/2 are MS), and they seem to have the same prob if not more.

ICQ# 120474231

Old 06-28-2001, 01:51 PM   #6
jharris

Uhm...

I'm a bit stumped then. Your other mice have the same problems - even when you change port (from serial to PS2 or the other way around), right?.

The X problem sounds strange though, it should use X with the standard VGA X server for XF86Config when you choose not to use your existing XF86Config file... Are you running with an old/odd monitor that is touch about refresh rates?

Jamie...

Old 06-28-2001, 01:57 PM   #7
Alchemist
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Monitor

its a 17" KDS nothing old or odd about that, that I know of anyway. could it be something wrong with the my Linux ver or CD, as in like missing files or something odd like that. The only other thing that I could think of is that Slackware dosen't like my box for some reason . It could be that something is wrong with the ps/2 port on my MB, but then it would act up everywhere else I would assume.

Old 07-07-2001, 03:35 PM   #8
AzrielMacKay

Distribution: Debian and Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
My mouse acted funny when i first installed X also:here's the problem if you are using an intellimouse:
the xf86config file is loading the wrong module. You need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config your mouse should be IMPS/2 not intellimouse