LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2001, 07:36 AM   #1
kevin_5050
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Hi,
I'm facing a major problem. Have a complicated situation and I think dynamic routing is the solution. Not sure.

This is the scenario -
We have 3 ISP's providing internet service, 2 are leased lines and one is a cable connetion.
At the moment we have a linux box which acts as a gateway and internet firewall.
We work around our way with static routing. The linux box is set to send the default ip packets through one of the ISP. We also have particular sites which are routed throught the other 2 isps. The problem is, if one of the isp is down, one of will have to manually change the routing so that it does not affect the work in the office.

So we have people sitting round the clock to switch over
the routing from one isp to another whenever some happens which is a major pain.
My question is if I do have dynamic routing installed and working,could it be handle the switching over from one gateway to another automatically. If this is possible how do I do it.

I read something on traffic equalising using linux. Is it possible for me to combine all the 3 links from the 3 isps as one and do all the packet forwarding
throught this combined interface. ( we use services such as ftp, telnet, https, etc ).

Thanks,
kevin.