LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2001, 09:59 PM   #1
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Mandrake 8.0 network setup

Ok I want to say up front that I just installed Mandrake 8.0 and it is my first attempt at using Linux ever. I am very very lost when it comes to everything associated with the OS, since I have not had time to sit down and really learn it.

What I would like to do is this. I have a LAN at my house with two comps running ME on them (stop laughing at me). They each have their own IP address which gives them each their own cable connection. I have them set up to get their IP from the hub (eg everything is set to automatic in my windows networking). I would like to add the Linux box to this hub, give my ISP the IP address for it (I usually get this for my windows boxes using winip) to get its own connection, and be able to file and print share with the other comps on the network. Eventually I will make my Linux box the router/server but first things first. :smile:

I have Linksys etherfast 10/100 cards in all my boxes. I have gone into the control center and tried to set up a connection using the wizard. I have no idea what to give my linux box for an IP address since my other boxes are all set on auto. Same for the subnet mask. Also what do I put in for the hostname and domain name when it asks for it? I just have a workgroup set up for my windows boxes and it works fine. I want to be able to browse the net and get mail on my linux box and share files and printers with the windows boxes. One day I will set up a Linux router/server, but I think I need to learn more first, and this system is probably too slow to be my router anyway (233 mhz).

I am not really sure where to begin with all this and would really appreciate some guidance. I have been trying to set all this up in my root account. Is this right? Once I have it set up right in the root account do I have to set up something in the user accounts too? When I click on the browser, will it connect to the net automatically or will I need to set that up too? ARGGH! I really really want to learn Linux, but it is driving me NUTS! *sigh*

please rescue me so I wont just give up and put windoze on my spare computer. Thank you!

Old 06-27-2001, 10:33 PM   #2
LionKing

Distribution: Redhat

Rep: Reputation: 15
First, do this on your ME machine, go start, run and type:
Format c: /u /q
Just kidding....

It looks like your Linksys box is doing the dhcp and ip masqurading for you. If so, you'll need to set your NIC card configuration with dhcp enabled on your Linux box, once your linux box is able to get ip lease from the Linksys, then you are connected. The rest is upto you. Linux will be your friend and will follow you wherever you want to go today.

Old 06-27-2001, 11:55 PM   #3
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well that is just the thing. I have it set to get the IP automatically (there is a small box to do this at the bottom of the IP addres screen in mandrake). The problem I think is I do not know what to tell it that the hostname and domain name are. I do not know if I need this or not. Currently it says whatever is default for the system. something rather generic. Do I need to blank this out or should I put something in there?

Anyway I will keep trying.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:11 AM   #4
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
also I am not seeing my Linux box on network neighborhood so something is not working right. Man this is frustrating. I am really not sure at all what to do. I oculd really use some step by step directions on how to get this computer on my network. Also, I will need to know how to find the IP address that the hub is assigning to the linux box so my ISP can connect me. My other two boxes have set IP addresses that I get by typing winip in the run box under start. I had to give them these IP addresses in order to get my service connected.

Please help me with some step by step instructions if possible.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:16 AM   #5
LionKing

You should leave ip parameters blank, because that's supposed be assigned by dhcp server. But if the dhcp server is configured differently, then in some instances you'll need to enter domain name or domain suffix or host name, you can refer these information partly from your ME box, but make sure you don't just copy everything over, because ip address must be unique for each machine. Do a '/sbin/ifconfig -a' to see your interface configrations, and you can manually configure Ethernet card using ifconfig, refer manual 'man ifconfig' for more details.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:23 AM   #6
LionKing

Don't be frustrated, learning is always a fun challenge.
I would suggest you to start with HOW-TO FAQs,
go to www.linux.org, and go to documentations then HOW-TO, each topic there are HOW-TO pages. You'll need to be patient. I bet you won't reget time spend on it. Because you'll learn a lot.

You won't be able to see Linux from Windoz network neigherhood until you have configured service and run a service called: SAMBA, see Samba-HOWTO page for more details, or go to www.samba.org

You have a lot work to do.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:28 AM   #7
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
lol man thats all greek to me

well I am not really sure what to do. I dont know how to get the domain name from my ME box either. call me a retard. I always just let windows do the work and never had any trouble. If I could just get the hub to recognize my linux box that would be a good start. then I could work on getting the IP address so I can get internet service.

How do I find out what my hub's domain name is? Maybe if I fill that in it will work right. I filled in 255.255.255.128 for the subnet because that is what my hub is using aparently and left the IP address blank. I will go read some of those how tos and maybe I will learn something. That was the whole point of this anyways

Thanks for your patience

Old 06-28-2001, 12:39 AM   #8
LionKing

A couple of Windows command which can provide some information with your network information:

Start->Run->winipconfig
expand the more, and you'll see your current ip settings, if you have multiple nic cards, make sure you are looking at the correct NIC card.

You can also go to command under Win-ME DOS prompt and type:
ipconfig -a
That will also give you nic card configuration details.

And 'route -rn' will tell you the default gateway address it is using.
Where are you located?

Old 06-28-2001, 12:40 AM   #9
LionKing

sorry, not winipconfig, it is winipcfg under Windows.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:47 AM   #10
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I am located in Augusta Georgia. I will look at the things you sugggested. Thank you very much for all this help

Old 06-28-2001, 01:08 AM   #11
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
maybe if I ask around someone in town knows something about mandrake. all the how tos I find are for red hat mostly. maybe I should just go get the retail version of the mandrake distro. maybe the book in there will say how to set all this stuff up.

Old 06-29-2001, 03:25 PM   #12
bigdmiley
LQ Newbie

Distribution: mandrake 7.2

First, the switches for winipcfg are /a and /rn. The howtos are will work for most distributions of Linux. Don't get frustrated yet, just be patient-the howtos give you good information if you take the time to read it. I too like to get things up and running quick, but if you take the time to use the Howtos your Linux experience will be more enjoyable.

Old 06-29-2001, 04:14 PM   #13
LionKing

Win98 understand winipcfg or with switch /all ('winipcfg /all') but not /a; for netstat under Win98 both -rn or /rn makes no difference.

Mandrake is based on Redhat, at least this is true with previous versions, it added some addtional stuff on top of Redhat. I have not used any recent versiosns of Mandrake. But I assume a lot of HOW-TO applies to Redhat can directly applied to Mandrake. Correct me if you think I am wrong.

Augusta Georgia, sounds like beautiful town, isn't it?

Old 06-29-2001, 05:43 PM   #14
LionKing

Redhat 7.1 has graphic interface for startup installation, check this out. Do you have any paticular reasons to use Mandrake? If not, then you might as well to get a try with Redhat. You don't have to have a CD, as you can download the bootnet.img, and creat a boot disk, then installation process will walk you through, and you'll just to need to enter few things such as ip, dns for your machine and redhat ftp/http mirror server site.

http://www.redhat.com/products/softw..._features.html

Old 06-29-2001, 06:13 PM   #15
chemaholic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
yes augusta is a beautiful city. it hosts the masters golf tournament every year so you may be familiar with our town.

the reason i am using mandrake is it is supposed to be pretty well idiot proof. i am a first time user and i thought it would be good to try a distro that was very close in appearance to the windows environment i was used to.

I finally did get the comp to connect to the hub. I have no clue why it didnt work before lol. anyways, i am still learning about al this stuff and I am enjoying it so far.

One other question. i wanted to DL some other programs like doom to play around with on my linux box. I went to downloads.com and they had all sorts of things to DL for dom. there was a program specifically for mandrake (there were versions submited by people for many distros there), but there were alot of other things there too that i was not sure what they were for. with windows you usually just DL and double click the installer. is it that simple with linux too? anyway i will give it a try. i am just afraid to mess up my box now that i have it on the net.