LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2000, 09:28 AM   #1
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083

Well SuSE 7 has been out for about a week now, has anybody installed it? I try to install all of the distros as they come out, but I have been real busy lately and have not had a chance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:06 PM   #2
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
I have istalled fine, but for the LILO

I installed the distribution 2 days ago. It was fine, very easy to use. The only trouble came when detecting the sound card, where it only enabled the onboard sound as opposed to the SoundBlaster card, and I wanted the LILO installer to be placed on a floppy, which it did, but then when I tried to boot from the floppy all I got were a load of '0'1 going diagonally across the screen! I am still able to use it, just waiting to make a boot disk! Anyway, as a newbie to Linux it seems a pretty good introduction tothe pengiun.

Old 10-25-2000, 07:01 AM   #3
Dean
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool New Installation

Hi,
I'm also new to Linux. I installed SUSE 7 and was quite impressed. There's a lot of new things to learn. The only problems I've had so far have been
1) It refused to write a boot floppy
2) I've installed it on a SCSI hard disk but at bootup it always goes straight into Windoze even when I told LILO to give me a choice between windoze & Linux
3) The 'boxes' don't work in Netscape. For example, I read my mail via Yahoo and when I check the boxes and then the delete button it does nothing. The check boxes don't work on any site I've been to.
4) None of the MPEG/video players seem to work (aktion for example shows only the top 10% of the mpeg, the rest is just a green screen)
5) USB doesn't work at all. At kernel boot up it says that there's a problem with USB but it's gone too fast.

I'm really impressed with the sheer amount of applications. XMMS (?) is a really good replacement for Winamp and takes far less cpu time. SETIATHOME (installed by a friend) runs much faster under Linux.

Any suggestions how to fix my USB & Netscape problems? How can I create a boot floppy and tell it to load a SCSI module?

Regards
Dean

Old 10-25-2000, 12:02 PM   #4
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
I know how to get a boot disk. Correct me anyone if I am wrong but what I did was to go into Konsole as root, and type:
rdev /boot/vmlinuz

This tells you what the Kernel thinks is your root device (/).

If it is wrong, then type:
rdev /boot/vmlinuz /dev/hd**

** are different depending on what Partition the root is on.

Once it is right, you create a blank floppy by typing:
fdformat /dev/fd0

then copy the Kernel by typing:
dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=8129

There you are. I have only used it on SUSE 7 so it may not be totally correct on other distributions.

Old 10-25-2000, 05:55 PM   #5
Dean
LQ Newbie

Thumbs up Almost fixed....

Thanks for your help Cragstar! It worked just as you said it would the only problem being that I have installed Linux on a SCSI hard disk (sda3) and the SCSI card is non-standard. It's an Initio. Normally I have to load the SCSI module for the INITIO card then boot the OS from a floppy. How do I make the floppy as you said but tell it to load the Initio SCSI module first?

Many Thanks
Dean

Old 11-06-2000, 09:43 AM   #6
Slippy
LQ Newbie

Has anybody heard when the PPC version will ship? I was talked around to SuSE from LinuxPPC2000 on IRC last night. Then I spoke to a dealer who advised me to wait a few weeks for 7 instead of springing for 6.4. Will it be worth the wait for a newbie? What is the difference? So far, he's been extremely helpful but a little unreliable as far as his stock availablity. What is the likelihood that it really will ship before Christmas?

Old 11-18-2000, 09:25 AM   #7
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
Looks like SuSE just announced that they will release PPC 7.0 on November 20. More info can be found here - http://www.suse.com/us/products/susesoft/ppc/index.html