LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2001, 11:22 AM   #1
prowzen

Distribution: RH 7.0,

Rep: Reputation: 15

Hi,
I am running win me and RH 7.0 on my computer. The only reason Iam still sticking with windows is that I use my computer to view live video streams from the internet and also to play movies on my DVD Rom. I wasn't able to get to do these things on the RH 7.0 after installation.
1. What do I need to do to get my DVD Rom running? Any drivers need to be installed?
2. Is there something like a win media player available for viewing live video streams from the internet? I have both GNOME and KDE installed.
Pl let me know. Iam a newbie and I would love to get rid of my windows soon to make room for linux - as soon as I get these things working on my machine.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Sridhar

Old 04-18-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
tfrye

Talking

As far as i know, there has never been a port of Windows Media Player, but Realaudio is available for Linux. I use it for my streaming music and video casts, and it works flawlessly.

As far DVD playing goes, check out http://www.linux.com/howto/DVD-Playing-HOWTO.html

This should help you out.

Old 04-18-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
well my friend we seem to have reached an impass at the old dvd thingy. you see it is a liscensed encryption algorithim that is used, and the company that has it is reluctant to give it away to the open source community (bastards) and so it can be a bugger to play dvds on linux (even though it is the best system to do it on really since it is so fast).

neway go to http://www.linuxdoc.org and look for the dvd howto (although at the time of writing the ldp seems to be not working). the blokey that writes this seems wuite confident that dvd works under linux. if it does work i don;t know. my mum won;t let me get ol' linux on my dvd machine. there was a dvd prog called decess (or something like that, it was a weird acronym of something) but it was banned and the poor 15 year old who wrote was imprisoned (more proof that the american judicial system has some problems [not that england is any better]). however there should be his program floating round the internet somewhere.

sorry i haven't been to helpful this time. if you have a question bout mounting or modems then im your man (i know something bout that atleast [i bet you now come up with somethign that i don;t know of though])

Alex

Old 04-18-2001, 02:28 PM   #4
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

if you need something like windows media player then try xmms. with the correct plugins i hear that it can do close to anything!

Old 04-19-2001, 11:50 AM   #5
tfrye

Webtoe is quite right.. DVD encryption and decryption is guarded secret. And about the 15 year old.. dont worry. There are copies of his code available. You jsut got to know where to look or ask.

The US judicial system does suck quite a bit, but I should point at that the jackass company that prosecuted him is really the one to blame. The US simply upheld the stupid law that was put in force earlier, i beleive it is called the Digital Millenium Act. it states that software is not free speach, and is patentable. To me, it is simply a misuse of powers by a government that I think needs a reform.

Anyway, off my soapbox for a minute. I am told that DVD will can play on a Linux system, and there is a project right now to port a player over.

Old 04-20-2001, 02:35 AM   #6
prowzen

Distribution: RH 7.0,

Original Poster
Windows stays on my machine

The wonderful(screwed up) MS Windows stays on my machine! What can be worse than this?
I have a ES19835 sound card on my laptop and the red hat documentation says it does not support this sound card. I tried running sndconfig and it gave up saying it does not support this sound card.
Any suggestions? Any alternatives other than changing the sound card on my machine? If not any breakthroughs likely in the future? Any encouraging signs? I badly need some good news. Please let me know.

prowzen

Old 04-21-2001, 08:35 AM   #7
philfighter

Distribution: Mandrake 8.1, Suse 7.0

Webtoe...Please Speak the Queen's English!

Jeez...you murdering bastard...fix your broken english.

"Get me a bucket before I puke."

Old 04-21-2001, 08:40 AM   #8
philfighter

Distribution: Mandrake 8.1, Suse 7.0

The little kid stole...

In America we have a great thing called free enterprise. Its an important in our country being the greatest, most prosperous, and, without a doubt, the most powerful country in the world.

Intellectual property (software, songs, etc) is like a picture painted painstakingly on canvass by its author. Free Enterprise is about building a better mousetrap. In this great country of ours, if you can build a better mousetrap you will be greatly rewarded...if you steal you go to jail and deservedly so.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:28 AM   #9
tfrye

I have no problem with free enterprise, but I believe that software companies need to port or allow someone to port their software to other operating systems so everyone can use it. Mac people loose out, and Linux people loose when they dont.

So as far as I am concerned, if someone wants to port something over, even if it is illegal, I sure will not report them, and I will be more than happy to use it also.

Plus, on an added note.. allowing people to create a port of a companies software actually does promote you idea of a better mouse trap. Everyone then has the opportunity to suggest / make improvements, and new ideas and creations can be made based on their design. hording the code or product in general hinders development in the field, so I DO NOT believe in the idea of intellectual property. I believe you have the right to be recognized for what you did, but not keep everything secret.

Old 04-24-2001, 01:42 PM   #10
Yuuzhan Vong
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
A very silly question

I was actually about to post this as athread but read the headline on this one. No one has had the time to explain this to me or nobody that i know has the answer. The guy who opened the thread said "Ihave win and RH 7 on my PC" Well, Could anybody tell me how do i do this??, thet's exactly what i wanna know how to have both OS's in the machine at the same time, i don't like windows but it's necessary for the moment, Could any body help?
Thx!

Old 08-26-2003, 08:48 AM   #11
nhs

Distribution: Gentoo

Try MPlayer.