LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2001, 09:42 AM   #1
Config

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question

Hi everybody

I have a problem with instlling Linux (obvoiusly )
I am using a Western Digital HD for my SuSe Linux. I have been able to install the linux for the first time. After I finished the installation and rebooted the Computer, Linux did not boot (I don't use another OS on this Computer). Now, the detection of the Ide Harddrive is very slow (I have never seen something that slow) and Linux doesn't boot. Do I have to install the EZ-Drive? If so, is there anything I have to know concerning partitioning?
Tanks for your help

Old 02-13-2001, 06:13 PM   #2
Sinister
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Don't install EZ-Drive if the computer's BIOS is recognizing the hard drive correctly, if you do, it's possible that the hard drive will slow down further.

To speed up the Boot and POST time, go into the BIOS and detect the hard drive yourself so that it's 'hard coded' and the BIOS doesn't have to figure it out everytime you boot up.

About linux. It's possible that lilo (the linux boot loader) didn't get installed properly, or at all. Use the CD or boot disk (if you bought it) and it should be able to boot your linux installation, if this is the case then the problem is lilo. Go into YaST and use it's nice menus to naviugate yourself to System Administration, then Kernel/Boot information and from there you can configure lilo to install itself into the Master Boot Record (MBR) and select a kernal to boot from the /boot directory, it's most likely called vmlinuz and/or vmlinuz.suse.

Hope that all helps!

Old 02-19-2002, 07:40 AM   #3
Config

Distribution: Gentoo

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Ha, I found the problem some time ago. I just wanted to tell you the solution.... (Ha, i am laughing at me). First off, I was only using one HD. The HD has been in a machine with 2 HD's as a slave. I set the jumper to Master... but it wanted it as single. So, the detection worked. Then the boot problem... well, i used a DOS boot disk and ran fdisk /mbr (Geez, EZDrive was still on, and it didn't allow me to boot Linux). After all this, Linux started just fine
BTW, we have a great community here. Thank you all