LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2001, 11:38 PM   #1
rhh
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

I just installed Redhat 7.1 but cannot reach its ftp server from other computers on the LAN. I have set up ftp servers before on other Linux systems without any problems but now I do not get any acknowledgement when I use a front end like WS_FTP to try to make an ftp connection.

This is what I found so far-

1)I can ping the Redhat server
2) I get an error message in the message log that "\misc\.directory" cannot be created.
3) If I try to move anything into the \misc directory I can't - neither can I delete it - even though I am root.
4) I have tried to set permissions, files etc. through netcfg.

Any suggestions - I am stuck. Thanks,

Rod

Old 06-09-2001, 10:02 AM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
The error about "\misc\." (should be "/misc/."?) in messages is produced by what program - your FTP daemon? You say you do not get any acknowledgment when using a front end - what happens from the command line? When you try to modify /misc are you root on the command line?

Also what permissions are you trying to set with netcfg? What user are you trying to FTP as - root? If this is the case you will probably want to look at /etc/ftpusers

Post some more details when you get a moment.

cheers

Jamie...

Old 06-13-2001, 10:32 PM   #3
rhh
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Jamie,

Thanks for the reply. I have solved the problem as follows:

1) First I learned that the /misc directory was created by the automount program. I managed to somehow delete the file (after trying really hard and changing some automout config files) which in turn caused the file system to operate very slowly.

2) I then reinstalled the os (Red Hat 7.1). I also learned about xinetd and its config files. After I set those up properly (they were off by default) and loaded xinetd the whole thing worked just fine.

Thanks,

Rod