LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2001, 06:44 PM   #1
thetruevoice

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Floppy install?

I've recently been given a old crappy laptop for free. I figured i'd just toss linux on there to give me something to piddle w/ while i try to learn linux. BUT...the piece o' crap doesnt have a cd-rom. Does anybody know a version of linux that still has full floppy installation and where i can aquire this.

Thnx in adv.

Old 06-27-2001, 10:25 PM   #2
jrmann1999

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Man...your going to have a hell of a time w/o a cd-rom. You could try one of the various BSD installs(I know I know, BSD is not linux, but it's a version of *nix) or if a version of Linux has a network install, you could try that, but your almost better off double partitioning your HD, loading winblows on it, and downloading Linux onto a second partition so that you can do a HD based install.

J

P.S. I've tried linux via floppy, it's NOT an option as most packages are WAY over 1.44 MB

Old 06-28-2001, 05:40 AM   #3
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
You can install Slackware from floppies... But as mentioned it could be a nightmare. Do you have another Linux system avaiable? If you do have then what I would do would be to install only the bare minimum you can with Slackware to get networking up, then do a network install of the rest of the package using NFS.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 06-29-2001, 01:26 PM   #4
thetruevoice

Original Poster
this might sound really stupid but....i've decided i want to put slackware on this laptop, but how do i get or make the floppies for this. all i have slackware on cd.

Old 06-29-2001, 01:47 PM   #5
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
On your slackware CD there is a folder called slakware. In that folder should be the folders that contain the data for each disk.

cheers.

Jamie...

Old 07-06-2001, 04:24 PM   #6
thetruevoice

Original Poster
thnx for the help so far but i got another little question.

if ive read into this correctly, i have to make a boot disk. then the install disks found in the slackware folder on the cd-rom. but the boot disk doesnt boot. i created it w/ rawrite bare.i a: and when i boot the laptop it starts to read the disk and an "L" then "I" pops up on the screen and then stops. nothing else happens. anybody got any idea on what im doin wrong?

again thnx in adv.