LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2001, 02:43 PM   #1
fzed
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation

Hello everyone I am trying to dial up to my isp with my linux box. I have my modem set up correctly, the modems connect and i get a ppp prompt from the isp, but as soon as pppd starts, it dies with exit code 1. I upgraded to 2.4 and tried several different versions of pppd with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-22-2001, 02:46 PM   #2
devnull

Rep: Reputation: 15
You've tried to dial-up as a normal user or as root?
Okay, you should always do it as a user, but try it as root for a test. If it works now, you have to change the permissions of pppd.
If root can also not connect, check if you use PAP-Service to authencicate at your isp. Also check your DNS-Settings in /etc/resolv.conf.

Old 02-25-2001, 11:37 PM   #3
fzed
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
devnull,
i tried dialing as root, with the same results. As far as the PAP protocol just looking on the web page didn't tell me anything. Instructions on the web page detail how to set up a connection with mostly defaults on windows dial up networking but i don't know what kind authentication it uses. I did modify my resolv.conf but it didn't help. Any other tips??? Thanks for your time

Old 02-26-2001, 06:27 AM   #4
devnull

open a shell and type "tail -f /var/log/messages".
then try to connect to your isp again and watch the log-messages. Any hints there?

Old 02-27-2001, 05:54 PM   #5
billsabub

Sounds exactly like my problem, where pppd is not running in any way, shape, or form.

Try
#modprobe -v /usr/sbin/pppd

This will tell you whether or not the ppp daemon is installed and running. Mine isn't, even though I configured my kernel specifically for that reason.

If it's not there, I'm stumped. That's why I've posted a message on this. I don't know if I can go in and run it any other way.