LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2001, 10:03 AM   #1
sudheendra
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Red face

I am very new to Linux. I have seen this o/s on many of frieds' pcs and I have been attracted by it.
I have some questions and I am desperately in need of answers.

Tell me the features of Linux,
1) as a Distributed O/S
2) as a Network O/S
3) as Multitasking o/s
4) as Multiprogramming O/S

Please help me in clearing my doubts. Don't forget that I am a just born baby in Linux World

Sudhi

Old 03-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
1. Distribution or Download. Most people new to linux, I recommend getting a copy from your local store. Either you might need support installing, or you don't have a fast connection via internet. The good thing about Distibutions, is they come with all the software really needed to do about anything you want or need to use. If not you can always download it for free.
2. As a network OS, it rocks, its stable, and it comes with everything you need.
3. All I can say, it is true Multitasking unlike Windows in certain perspective, especially with multiple users.
4. I don't know about Programming, all I know, the source is open to you, if you know how to do it, change it yourself. Most common program is C, lots of other languages too like non-microsoft related languages. Just think though, 30% of the web is on Linux platforms, and 60% of the web servers out there are using Apache, which is open source software like Linux.

Old 03-20-2001, 02:54 PM   #3
billsabub

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sudhi,

Definitely buy a copy locally. That way you get the advantage of the entire distribution as well as documentation that fits that distribution.

Flavors of Linux are a personal preference. To read about the major ones, try:

http://iinet.linux.tucows.com/distribution.html

or

http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html

This will give you an idea of what's out there. I'm sure there are other comparison sites as well.

HTH.