LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2001, 04:21 AM   #1
Hal9000
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question mandrake 8 + adaptec 29160n scsi

Hy there everybody
I'm new to this stuff so please forgive my mistakes

Here is my problem:

I'm trying to install mandrake 8 on a scsi only system with adaptecs 29160n card. Booting from cd the system hangs as soon as it tries to access the hd and cd roms. Looking around I found that the new linux kernel should have a new set of drivers for adaptec cards but it only supports new released firmwares. I already upgrades the firmware of the scsi adapter with the latest one but the system still hung. then I saw from mandrake site a boot floppy for realease 8 with older drivers. When I tried them the boot floppy was able to access the adapter and then lunched the gui installation. after answhering a couple of questions when the gui searched the partitions/disks it hung as before (?).

I tried different installation modes, expert, text etc with no success.

My question is, if I boot from floppy the installation process used the old driver but does the gui (second install phase) use the old one too or the one distributed in the cd (causing the error) ?

Thank you

Last edited by Hal9000; 06-21-2001 at 11:13 AM.