LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2001, 03:15 PM   #1
vic
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry

I have been having troubles mounting files from a machine running Linux Mandrake 7.2. The problem is that when I try and mount files on a client using the command "mount hostname:/dir/to/be/mounted /mountpoint" I get the error RPC:Timed out. I know that the problem stems from a failure of the client machine to communicate with the rpc.mountd daemon on my linux box. When I ping rpc.mountd from my linux box using the commmand "rpcinfo -t hostname mountd" I get "program 100005 version 1 is ready and waiting" and "program 100005 version 2 is ready and waiting" which is what you are supposed to get when things are working properly and means that I do have rpc.mountd running on my linux box. When I perform this same command from a client machine, regardless of the OS of the client, I get the message "rpcinfo:RPC:Timed out, can't find program 100005 version 0 is not available." If I ping for other versions of mountd from a client using the command "rpcinfo -t hostname mountd 2" for instance, I get the same error for that version number. The other daemons needed to run NFS, rpc.portmap and rpc.nfsd are working fine and can be pinged from client machines using rpcinfo. NFS on my linux box seems to be setup correctly. /Etc/exports is configured correctly and I ran the command "exportfs -ra." I am baffled as to how I can fix this problem. Ihave tried so many tactics already and need to figure this out as it is a vital part of the project which I am working on. Please help me and give me any suggestions which you may have. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2001, 07:03 AM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
Do you have anything in /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny?

Old 05-04-2001, 07:48 PM   #3
KevinJ

Distribution: Redhat v8.0 (soon to be Fedora? or maybe I will just go back to Slackware)

Rep: Reputation: 30
NFS mount

I have always had to use this format:
mount -t nfs hostname:/dir/to/be/mounted /mountpoint

Old 11-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
mspring
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake Community 10.1

I am having the exact same problem so if anyone has a solution I'd be much obliged!

Mel

Old 11-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
mspring
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake Community 10.1

Lightbulb

I think I found the solution. Run the rpc.mountd program in /usr/sbin on the server.
[command prompt]$ /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd

the server has to have the daemon running in order to oblige the client to mount the filesystems. Also I think that the server and the client must be running all the same versions. My client was running versions 1, 2, and 3 and my server was only running 1. When I ran rpc.mountd then my server was running all 3 versions and the files were mounted when I ran the mount command. Yipeeee!

Mel