LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2000, 06:24 AM   #1
steve

Distribution: Suse 7.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

I want to buy a new modem that is compatible with Linux,does anybody know which brand or model would be best? I am pretty new to Linux so I would probably want one that is easy to set up!

Old 12-05-2000, 06:58 AM   #2
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Lightbulb NOT A WINMODEM!

steve, make sure that you do not buy a winmodem or softmodem. These are not well supported with Linux yet and so you will definately have problems with trying to get them to work.

As far as individual modems are concerned go to this web site for a general overview.
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
I am sure that other's can tell of modems which they recommend specifically, unfortunately I have a softmodem!

Old 12-05-2000, 06:59 AM   #3
mathi

Distribution: Slackware

Exclamation

You know the common problem: A lot of modems only come with drivers for Windows, and the manufactorers won't give the specifications to driver-develloppers. You can find more info at http://www.linmodems.org, but read this carefully. And take care when buying, most PCI modems are not suitable. I think all external modems will work fine. Here's a good description of the problem: http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
(excuse my chaotic style, I'm writing this while working in office on various Windows projects).
And on that site is also a list of bad modems.

I hope I've helped you,
gr
Matthieu

Old 12-05-2000, 07:03 AM   #4
mathi

Distribution: Slackware

Talking

I see I replied at the same time as CragStar, and providing the same info. Sorry

Old 12-05-2000, 07:47 AM   #5
steve

Distribution: Suse 7.2

Original Poster
thanks folks!

thanks for the advice, at the moment I am stuck with a winmodem that isn't compatible with Linux. I think it would be safest to buy an external modem. Thanks again for helping out a newbie

Old 12-05-2000, 08:31 AM   #6
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
I have always had success using 3com/USR modems. Ofcourse YMMV.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:52 AM   #7
mpenny
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 8.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Could I just add in here that I have a 3Com/USR modem that is in fact a WinModem but does not advertise the fact (!?!?) and as a result, doesn't work with Linux.

I also have an ISA modem which works OK (but is only 33.6kbps!)

Everyone appears to recommend external modems so I'd go with one of those if I were buying a new modem.

The URL listed in the posts above is a really good place to find out which modems will and won't work.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Mark.