LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2001, 06:34 AM   #1
gomer1701ems
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

This isn't really a Linux questions per say, but it does involve a website of mine that is on a Linux box.

I can't seem to understand how to set up my DNS for my website. I bought the domain. I have the Linux box. Apache is installed and I think I have it working correctly. The router is working fine (I gave the Linux box a static IP from the router, and I have port 80 being forwarded to the Linux box).

But setting up DNS is a nightmare. When I registered my domain, 000domains.com said that they use granitecanyon.com as their name servers, cuz they're free. So I went to their page, and oh my God am I lost.

For creating a primary name server, it gave me six steps: Find unused domain, register domain, create primary DNS, edit primary DNS, delegate domain, and re-delegate INADDR. The first two I obviously did, but I got stuck on number three. I clicked on the link, and after putting in my domain and password, it gave me a somewhat blank screen that the name server information was supposed to go. Well, I had no idea what the I was suppossed to type, so I went and searched the net. I found a page ( http://www.a-z-internet.com/dns/ ) that creates the information for you, so I did that and cut and pasted it into the nameserver information. Here is what I have:

mydomain.com. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
mydomain.com. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
mydomain.com. IN RP gomer1701ems.yahoo.com. .mydomain.com.
.mydomain.com. IN TXT "it's me"
localhost.mydomain.com. IN A 127.0.0.1
mydomain.com. IN A 12.34.56.78
*.mydomain.com. IN CNAME mydomain.com.; GLOBALOK

I obviously changed the real domain and IP number. Yes, I know there are no MX records. That's because I have no mail server yet. Also, granitecanyon.com said they had to be the technical contact if they were going to be my nameservers. Nowhere did I find an e-mail address to put into my technical contact field. They also said that they would e-mail me when the update to their server was completed. It's been about 30 hours now, and still no e-mail.

I'm assuming what is there is right. I clicked on the save button and went onto step five: "delegate domain." This brought up a page from register.com I tried to enter my domain and password, but it didn't work. It took me a second to realize why; I didn't use register.com.

So I backed up and tried step six: "Re-delegate INADD." This brought up a page that could have been written in Greek. I have no idea what it is for. It looks like it is something for the person running the actual DNS server.

Getting frustrated at this point, I tried to look for alternative DNS sites. I tried http://www.dyndns.org , but I having a hard time figuring out exactly what it does. I have a static IP address (thank God), so I tried their static DNS. I can't figure out if it is truely DNS hosting, or just sub-domain forwarding. I gave them my hostname and IP address, but it doesn't look like they've got DNS. They give you an option of donating money, and in turn give you complete control of your dyndns.org host name. I don't think this is what I am looking for, because it still asks for my two name servers, which brings me back to square one at granitecanyon.com.

So, I tried http://www.mydomain.com This looked like a step closer in my DNS direction. I gave them my domain.com as well as my IP address, but nowhere did I see anything about name servers or their IP address' (I need the IP address to update my name server listings from where I registered my domain).

So now, after this long story, I'm still really confused. Here are some questions:

1. Is the information that I put into my name server legit?

2. Do I have to worry about deligating and re-deligating the domain? If so, any suggestions on what I should do?

3. Where the is the e-mail from granitecanyon? Does it really take this long for an update to be processed?

4. Anybody have any suggestions for free or relatively cheap DNS hosts that are WAY easy to use?

I must say, this DNS stuff has been the biggest pain in the arse for web hosting.

This is all for now. If I think of anything else that comes up, I'll post a reply. Thank you for your help!

Gomer1701ems

Old 06-02-2001, 07:54 AM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Heh, heh, heh... I hate the registry process. At first look it's a mish mash of policy, politics, obfucascation and shenannigans. Once you get the hang of it you realize it's actually much more sinster.

Try http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/
I wish I had seen this a long time ago...

I had a look at granitecanyon.com and it looks pretty interesting. Re: the email for the techniacal conact - granitecanyon is the technical contact for the _DNS_ record you are setting up. Your contact info only is only relevant to your domain name. You should just point your domain record to the name servers you set up with granitecanyon (ns1 and ns2.granitecanyon.com). You can do this through whomever you registered the name with (registrar). The conatact information (email) will come from the 'contacts' you listed for your domain name. You need to delegate the in-addr record for your domain. Not too sure how you would do that, it depends on your ISP (?)

I just spent an embarrassing amount of time with that particluar puzzle so I'll share some of the mistakes I made.

First you will want to invest US$37.95 in O'Reilly "DNS and Bind" ISBN 1-56592-512-2. I picked up the 3rd edition new at Half Price Computer Books (they rock). Turn to page 55 "Registering Your Parent" and make a note that this is where mcleodnine screwed up. I made the assumption (incorrect) that they were referring to registering the in-addr.arpa record when they said that you had to 'register your network'. My ISP allows me to change both the hostname and the domain name for the static IPs they have alotted me. When I make the necessary changes, they eventually (15 mintes or less) show up in the reverse address (rDNS) records. Way cool - I've pretty much got this covered. We had the domainnames already so all I had to do was set up my nameserver and point all the DNS records to my name servers.

Simple.

No Prob.

Yeah right. I tried for longer than I care to admit in public to point the domains to my new name servers. I was told that they were 'invalid name servers' so naturally I thought it must be my setup. Lather, rinse, repeat. It turns out that to run your own authoritative name server for a domain you have to 'register' your name servers. Duh. I rechecked my setup and registered my name servers through networksolutions. Pointed the domains to my dns and all is well.

I hope something in here can at least point you to the right resources to get you up and running.