LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2001, 01:55 PM   #1
Brewzer
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation

Hello all,

Maybe this should be in the Installation area, but I'm so "new" I don't even know that...

Anywho, I downloaded the newest Mandrake 8.0 ISO files and burned them to CD.

I have an old 233AMD system with 2ea-6gig HDs and 128meg of RAM. My objective was to create my first Linux box to learn Linux. I do not want a dual boot machine, just Linux.

I booted to the install CD, it went through its setup routine, up to the "Choose packages to install" area.

I then get an error message of:

"An error occured missing basesystem package"

With only and OK button, it then starts the process over again??? Looking for packages, and then the error message??

I can't get past it?? Unless I click Exit Install, which gives me a "Idconfig failed" message?

And an OK button, which if I select the OK button the whole process starts over again...

HELP...

BTW I got some strange messages during the "setup File System" and "Format partitions" selections, but I think I have that remedy??

Thanks all...

Old 04-28-2001, 05:33 PM   #2
Seyon
LQ Newbie

Hmm..

Well, I did the same thing you are trying to do with no problems. I burned both CDs in Windows EZ-CD Creator with "Test and Create" and "Disc at Once" selected. It sounds to me like you just have a bum CD.

Old 04-28-2001, 06:42 PM   #3
homer

Rep: Reputation: 15
did you run md5sum to check it ?

Old 04-29-2001, 09:43 AM   #4
Brewzer
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Arrow How do I that without Linux?

Quote:
Originally posted by homer
did you run md5sum to check it ?
My understanding is the md5sum is a Linux, operation??? If I'm wrong could someone please tell me how to check the disc?

Thanks
Tim

Old 06-08-2001, 06:28 PM   #5
kynan
LQ Newbie

MD5Sum

go to http://www.etree.org/md5com.html

you can download a DOS version of md5sum here

in the dir you downloaded the ISOs from there was a file called MD5SUMS. Grab that and stick it in the same directory as the two ISO images. run md5sum like this:
md5sum --check md5sums

this will take a fairly long time (about 7 minutes on my machine) then come back and say something like
Mandrake80-inst.iso: OK

Old 06-09-2001, 07:31 AM   #6
Brewzer
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs up Re: MD5Sum

Thanks a million, both .ISOs checked out fine, & I have got them to work on the Linux machine, I beleive the problem was the CD-ROM. Still trying to figure out how to load the Nvidia drivers, but little by little I'm getting there... thanks again...

TTFN
Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by kynan
go to http://www.etree.org/md5com.html

you can download a DOS version of md5sum here

in the dir you downloaded the ISOs from there was a file called MD5SUMS. Grab that and stick it in the same directory as the two ISO images. run md5sum like this:
md5sum --check md5sums

this will take a fairly long time (about 7 minutes on my machine) then come back and say something like
Mandrake80-inst.iso: OK