LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2001, 03:14 PM   #1
miloman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

I have installed RedHat Linux 7.1 with DHCPD version 3.0rc8, firestarter firewall version 7.1, and Samba version 2.08.1.7.1. I am using the linux machine as a server connecting multiple computers to the internet. The problem that I am having is connecting to the internet from any workstation if they are set up to receive DNS server addresses automatically. If I enter the DNS addresses into every workstation they are able to connect to the internet with no problem. I can connect to the server from any workstation and see shared directories on the server while using DHCP on the workstations or using static IP addresses. I was able to connect to the internet and server using DHCP and receiving DNS server addresses automatically using RedHat 6.2, but with RedHat 7.1 I can not. I have a static address for the internet connection on eth0 on the server and can connect from the server at all times. I have eth1 using DHCP and can connect to the files server from any workstation just can not connect to the internet using IP masquerading unless I enter the static IP addresses of the Internet DNS servers.

Any ideas on what I should try? This install of Redhat 7.1 is a full install not an upgrade.

Old 06-10-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by miloman
I have installed RedHat Linux 7.1 with DHCPD version 3.0rc8, firestarter firewall version 7.1, and Samba version 2.08.1.7.1. I am using the linux machine as a server connecting multiple computers to the internet. The problem that I am having is connecting to the internet from any workstation if they are set up to receive DNS server addresses automatically. If I enter the DNS addresses into every workstation they are able to connect to the internet with no problem. I can connect to the server from any workstation and see shared directories on the server while using DHCP on the workstations or using static IP addresses. I was able to connect to the internet and server using DHCP and receiving DNS server addresses automatically using RedHat 6.2, but with RedHat 7.1 I can not. I have a static address for the internet connection on eth0 on the server and can connect from the server at all times. I have eth1 using DHCP and can connect to the files server from any workstation just can not connect to the internet using IP masquerading unless I enter the static IP addresses of the Internet DNS servers.

Any ideas on what I should try? This install of Redhat 7.1 is a full install not an upgrade.
Wow.

OK if I read this correctly then the samba server/masq firewall is all on the same box. When you say you have 'eth1 using DHCP' that's as a server, corrct?

SO...[list=1][*]the server is connected to the internal net on eth1, which the DHCP server is operating on.[*]the server sees world on eth0[*]the server is using a name server from the ISP.[*]the clients are using DHCP and get no DNS info from the DHCP server.[/list=1]

The first thing I would do is set up the /etc/dhcpd.conf
Code:
authoritative;
subnet 10.10.101.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 10.10.101.101 10.10.101.239;
default-lease-time 32400;
max-lease-time 64800;
option routers 10.10.101.2; # your eth1 in this case
option broadcast-address 10.10.101.255;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx# ip address of ISP's DNS;
option domain-name "domain.name.for.ISP.DNS";
option netbios-name-servers 10.10.101.4; # for my samba server
}
By 'pushing' the DNS info to your clients, you save having to enter the DNS info for each client.

If you're ambitious you could also set up a name server on your linux box as well, but that's another story.

Old 06-10-2001, 05:44 PM   #3
miloman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
mcleodnine

Thanks for you help. It works like a charm.