LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2001, 07:15 PM   #1
gadhiraju

Rep: Reputation: 15

i registered my own domain(www.gadhiraju.com) one year back. a month back i successfully installed my suse 7.1 linux, every thing is working fine. My isp is @home cable. can i host my own domain. i mean if i set up the dns and put my domain entry in that, then can all the people access my http://www.gadhiraju.com

help is greatly appriciated

sree

Old 05-08-2001, 07:27 PM   #2
doodah

Distribution: slackware

first make sure that you have a server installed and properly configured on your box. i use apache, if you goto a web browser and type in 127.0.0.1 you should see some kind of welcome page from your server. unless you already have the site set up, then you should see your index page. if you donot get either of these you will need to get a server setup, or open port 80(or somthing else!?) once this works the only thing you have to do is get in touch with the company that does your name service, you will need to give them your ip address so they can forward all requests for gadhiraju.com to your box.

i think thats all there is to it. atleast thats all i had to do!

_peace

Old 05-08-2001, 07:44 PM   #3
gadhiraju

Original Poster
my apache is set up and it is working fine. I can see my index page. right now nobody is hosting my domain. I just reserved it through hardlink.com and gave dns.hardlink.net
and dns1.hardlink.com as my primary and secondary dsn servers. to forward to my ip address i have to pay, what i am planning is if run my own dns server will it work?

sree

Old 05-08-2001, 07:58 PM   #4
doodah

i dont think that its going to work that way. unless i have misunderstood the way that the dns system works? but who knows, if there was a possibility of spending less money...... i GURANTEE that im wrong! but seriously i think that you have to have the name service provided for you... i do know there are free services.. im not sure what they are, but a friend told me about them right after i paid for mine!

please, someone correct me if im wrong!

_peace

Old 05-09-2001, 07:31 AM   #5
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
It is possible to setup your own DNS server and then make it authorative for your zone. Do you have a static IP? If not you will need one. http://www.granitecanyon.com is free but at times unreliable.

Old 05-09-2001, 09:49 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
@HOME usually provides almost all their customers with a static IP. I think only recently they stopped so if you have had the service for a while now, you should have a static IP.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:14 AM   #7
gadhiraju

Original Poster
i do have a static ip address

Old 05-09-2001, 05:59 PM   #8
doodah

jeremy(or anyone who knowsHow!),
so youre saying that the name forwarding that i paid for could be set up on my box. thats cool, not so much about the $$$ part but just the fact that you can do it!! if you could point gadhiraju and myself in the direction of a tut or post a quick overview of how this would work, that would be great

hey dude thanks for the help!
_peace