LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2001, 12:13 AM   #1
katana

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

hi all!
i've installed qpopper for my pop3 server..everything went ok until i entered my password:

user zana
+OK Password required for zana
pass ****
-ERR [AUTH] Password supplied for "zana" is incorrect

why is this?i'm sure my password is correct,and i've tried other user's too.i've looked it up on the net and they said it might have something to do with shadow password, so i got that fixed ( i hope):

./configure --enable-specialauth

so what else could be a prob??Please help me

Old 06-06-2001, 12:38 AM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by katana
hi all!
i've installed qpopper for my pop3 server..everything went ok until i entered my password:

user zana
+OK Password required for zana
pass ****
-ERR [AUTH] Password supplied for "zana" is incorrect

why is this?i'm sure my password is correct,and i've tried other user's too.i've looked it up on the net and they said it might have something to do with shadow password, so i got that fixed ( i hope):

./configure --enable-specialauth

so what else could be a prob??Please help me
First of all it's good to see that your persistance has carried you this far. Kudos.

Second, I'm just wild-guessing now, but I think you have to have a access control list somewhere that you have to add users to. Since I have to set one of these things up b4 the end of the month I s'pose I can have a look-see.

Oh (re-reads the post...) did you 'make' and 'make install' after you did the ./configure? The ./config(ure) scripts merely generate the Makefiles associted with the source code you are building. They don't do anything to the compiled code.
Generally an install from source goes something like this.

Download
Unpack (tar -xvzf yourpackage.tgz)
'cd' to the source directory you just unzipped ('cd yourpackacge)
READ THE FINE MANUAL (more | README)
Read the INSTALL
... and then usually it goes like this...
./configure (with any options you learned about in the INSTALL or README files)
build the source ('make')
install the files you just built to their shiny new homes ('make install') nb: usually you have to be root or equivalent for system-type stuff, like qpooper)

Old 06-06-2001, 03:33 AM   #3
katana

Original Poster
Talking

hi,
i've done the make after ./configure before...but i started all over again and followed what you told me..and it worked!
(even though i couldnt execute make install)..thanks a lot!

but now i think i have another lil prob...looks like i couldnt read the test mail i sent to myself using web mail?i'll try to look it up the net or somewhere,but if you have any hints,it'd be very helpful

thanks again..

Old 06-06-2001, 04:31 AM   #4
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by katana
hi,
i've done the make after ./configure before...but i started all over again and followed what you told me..and it worked!
(even though i couldnt execute make install)..thanks a lot!

but now i think i have another lil prob...looks like i couldnt read the test mail i sent to myself using web mail?i'll try to look it up the net or somewhere,but if you have any hints,it'd be very helpful

thanks again..
You couldn't execute 'make install'??? Did it say to do so in any of the readme's?

Did you send mail over the internet to your qpopper? Is your DNS up and running? Did you get any errors from the sending mail server? Are you getting tired of people asking you questions all the time?

Once you've got it all figured out, fwd: me your wisdom so I can get mine installed.

Old 06-06-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
katana

Original Poster
Talking problem solved...for the time being!

hello!
guess what!! I finally got my qpopper up and running at last You wanna know why i couldnt receive the mail via webmail and why my hosts couldnt connect to the server at times?well, it's the cable (duh)...it got loose somehow (hope that's the only prob!)How stupid can that be?Anyway, i got it fixed and there was my much awaited test mail...

well, i couldnt execute the make install...however i do the tar xvf command and then /.configure,make and so on according to the INSTALL file...i did pretty much according to the instruction.Not much of a wisdom,huh..

And no, i dont get tired answering questions (after all, i did asked lots of them!).Do you?

anyway, i'm off trying to configure how my hosts can set up their homepages via linux...i have created public_html folder in each of their homes but i still cant get it working..wish me luck!