LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2001, 10:27 PM   #1
j0n
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Red face Dual Boot RH 7.1 with win2k

Hey people..

I'm pretty much a newbie to RH 7.1.. things seem to have changed allot since then..

I used to have RH 6.1 dual booting with win2k
which was pretty easy to do, I just ran linuxconf and told LiLo that there was another OS on /dev/hda1. But now I cant even run linuxconf, For some odd reason.. did Linuxconf dissapear?? or what is the new command for this?

I've tried to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file and add the same params as before: windows = /dev/hda1
label = w1. But this doesn't seem to work..
I've been looking around on web pages and deep into the linux manual, but none seem to be able to help with my problem..

I have a very good idea and could probably do it again on RH 6.1 but with 7.1 I have no clue. I'm lost and I need a very basic reply on how to get this running....

Thank you very much in advance..

Old 06-24-2001, 01:45 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Linuxconf isn't installed by default anymore in 7.1, you can install it from the 2nd disk I do believe if you want it on your system.
Other than that, you will want to read the howto's in getting your system to dual boot with win2K.

Old 06-24-2001, 05:15 PM   #3
j0n
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Arrow Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
I figured out how to do it without linuxconf.
And I bet I can explain it 20 times more simple than anything I've seen about this question.

_j0n's quick and simple way to dual boot RH7.1 and Win2k on the same disk. (for intermidiate users only. If your a beginner you really should read and learn what everything does)

install win2k. Leave space for RH on the same disk.
install RH. At pompt to partition do it manually.
make your partitions around the already made win2k ones.
write down what is what.. If /boot is on hda3 write down /boot = hda3 on a peice of paper.. finish install..

find file /etc/lilo.conf
edit the file and add these lines at the end.

other=/dev/hda1

label=Hue_Jorgan

table=research this. I didnt use Table.... Dont think you need it for what we are doing.

(Note: hda1 is where MY win2k loads from, Check your paper that you wrote your info on, if you didn't write it down, then good luck!)

after that save lilo.conf and then run lilo..
Note: Some people might think that running LiLo means reboot.. thats not true. If your in /etc, just type lilo and hit enter.
this will write to the boot sector and tell lilo you added stuff..(In some versions it will tell you what it added)
after lilo has updated reboot.

choose what OS you want.. Linux or Windows. hit enter. If you wait it will boot to default which is linux

and thats it..

Old 06-27-2001, 04:16 AM   #4
ugge

Distribution: OpenSUSE 10.3

Rep: Reputation: 45
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by j0n

(Note: hda1 is where MY win2k loads from, Check your paper that you wrote your info on, if you didn't write it down, then good luck!)
Don't panic.
Just run fdisk from linux. Like this:
fdisk /dev/hda
for your primary master ide-device.
Type p to print your partition table and find out wich is your windows partition.
Exit without save.

Old 06-28-2001, 01:56 AM   #5
j0n
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Post I learned me somthing.

I found somthing in KDE that allows you to edit/add users..
I forget what its called.. And I also found somthing that allows you to edit all your services..

So I'm sorry for being impatient. I would have found this stuff eventually.. But at the moment I didn't have the time..

Thanks for your replys though.

take care.