LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2001, 07:46 PM   #1
johncla

Rep: Reputation: 15

I am trying to educate myself a little on network and internet security. I recently came across Trinux. My question is if I use the distro at work on the network, will it cause problems or raise red flags with the network or the network administrator. I wont be using trinux or any of the applications available for devious purposes. I just do not have much time at home and need to utilize my time at work. I liked to learn as much as I can (hands on) while I can. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:02 PM   #2
KevinJ

Distribution: Redhat v8.0 (soon to be Fedora? or maybe I will just go back to Slackware)

Rep: Reputation: 30
The only thing I can think of that would set off bells and whistles would be if you remove or replace a known machine on the network that some service is looking for. If you replace a WinNT box named "BOX" with a Linux box named "BOX", and there is some SMS program or something out there looking for "BOX", you might get detected.

The other BIG thing that could get you busted is if you were to setup a DHCP server on your Linux box. That would cause some serious network problems that would get noticed quick.