LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2001, 08:44 AM   #1
Copenhagen Cowboy

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

Ok, one of the reasons that I installed Slackware in the first place was so that I could see how the adduser script was written so that I could adapt it to other flavors. When I run "vi adduser" it opens a new file. What is going on here? HELP.

Old 03-15-2001, 11:38 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Try using locate or find.....that might help you locate the file.

Old 03-15-2001, 11:55 AM   #3
Larry James

Distribution: Ubuntu, Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 40
When you type in vi [filename], the [filename] will bring up the file, "filename". If there isn't currently a file by that anme, it's create a new file by that name. You can't edit an old file that doesn't exit, you in turn will create a new file if the file doesn't exist. You can check to see if a file exist by typing, ls [filename].

If you have a command called adduser as you mentioned, you can look to see where that command is located by typing, "type adduser". If it's in your path, you'll see where it's located and you will edit it either by typing in the full pathname of the file, or by changing to that directory to edit the file.

-- L. James