LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2000, 11:13 PM   #1
Arantila
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Does anyone know any good sites about stuffing a linux installation into a bootable cd? Or any else material or knownledge about this kind of systems?

I don't mean and distribution on cd. I mean a full and working linux which i can take with me and drop it into my friends cd-drive and boom, we have a linux running...

Thanks to all...may the sun shine over us...

Old 12-05-2000, 04:53 AM   #2
mathi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up

That's not very easy, but I think it's a nice experiment. I wanted to do that for quite a while, but I didn't have the time yet. The most important thing is (of course) to maker the resulting system small enough to fit on one disk. I suppose it's a good idea to create a new partition of 650 MB to test. Than your resulting OS will be small enough and it will be very easy to experiment by mounting this partition read-only. You can use the disto you like, in fact, I know very little of distributions. There are some files the system tries to write to. Like /etc/mtab, by mount, but this problem can be solved with the -n option. The log and spool files, the bash-history files and other files I cannot remember (right now). All these problems will result in error messages, but wont stop the OS from operating. Just experiment a lot.
Don't forget to config the XWindow system for a standard SVGA card. Make enough directories in the /mnt dir for the hard disk(s) of your friends, and (auto) mount them in the boot-prcess. This will impress them a lot. Of course you can make soft-links for the files to be written to files on FAT systems on these hard-disks, and/or make a soft-link from the /home, the /tmp and the /var directories to (UMSDOS-) directories. Just experiment a lot, its fun to see your system getting better and more flexible.
Now comes the kernel part. It's a good idea to compile a new kernel on your new partition, and make (of course) as much modules as possible. Remember that this kernel needs build in support for CD-ROM's and CD-ROM-filesystems! So don't put them in modules. It's always nice to have a kernel in your root-dir (/vmlinuz or /boot/vmlinuz), but the kernel we're going to use will be on a floppy.
I only have experience in one way to make a bootable CD-ROM, so maybe someone else can help you better with this part.
I would do it with Nero, by burning a complete floppy at the beginning of the CD-ROM, before the "real" data-part. Because Nero is a Windows program, the source partition should be UMSDOS, if you want it to do this on my way. I'm open for any new ideas. A benefit of using this method it that you also have an ordinary floppy, to use on systems that cannot boot from CD-ROM (like mine).
I'll suggest, format a floppy with FAT, so you can put LoadLin on it, and when the floppy is still clean, put the kernel on it, in /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz.
Now create a file to instruct Lilo, containing:

boot=/dev/fd0
delay=100
compact
vga=normal
root=/dev/hdc
# On most of the computers, the CDrom is the second IDE master,
# but you can change this at boot-time.
read-only
image = /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz
label=linux

And give the command:
# lilo -C <filename>
Assuming that the floppy is mounted under /mnt/floppy, you will have your bootable disk. At boot time (with the floppy) you can change the root-filesystem by typing after the LILO prompt:
LILO: linux root=/dev/hdd
(or anything else)

Of course you can make this system more flexible by introducing ram-disks and whatever you like, but this is a start.
Please let me know any luck or failures.

gr
Matthieu

Old 12-13-2000, 10:48 AM   #3
Arantila
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Original Poster
To anyone interested, i found an article close to my needs.

http://www15.big.or.jp/~yamamori/sun...2/index_e.html

Old 05-04-2001, 03:43 AM   #4
Dave007
LQ Newbie

Running Linux from a CD

Just to let you know, In the May issue of Linux Format their CD/DVD has a fully working version of Suse that runs totally from the drive. It has a fully working GUI and includes KDE 2.0 along with many of the others. I have run it from a CD drive and, although being only marginally slower it runs pretty well. It is able to detect all hardware including Modems but I'm not certain about it's ability to detect/ use NICs.

If you are unable to get hold of this magazine and the disc but still want a go of it then let me know and I'll see about copying mine. Email me at spr9@hotmail.com