LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2001, 12:23 AM   #1
ssuman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Hi,

Recently I installed Redhat 7.0 on my PC. It has dual OS with WIN2K and Linux. I connect to Internet via
"Intel 21041 Based PCI Ethernet Adapter" . In Linux I am not able to connect to the Internet. I have set up the options using netconf.

I can ping my own ip successfully. But pinging the gateway returns "Destination Host Unreachable" whereas that gateway is up[[I check this from my 2nd PC at the same time]].

Eagerly Waiting for a response!!!

Regards
Shambhu Suman.

Old 04-16-2001, 02:07 AM   #2
ssuman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Still Waiting for response!!!!

Old 04-16-2001, 06:57 AM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
What do you mean you can ping your own IP, like from another machine or from within your own using the 127.0.0.1?
What other trouble shooting steps have you taken? What happens when you do a ifconfig eth0 at the command line, if you can give us that output, that would help.

Old 04-22-2001, 03:58 AM   #4
ssuman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs up

Thanks for the response!!

Pinging my was pinging 127.0.0.0. Not able to determine the problem I had to reinstall and after that it works fine. Have disabled Eth0 initialzation at bootup. I just execute a 2 line script to force ip to etho and set the gateway every time I boot inot Linux.

Strangely -- we have exactly same 2 PCs at home[yes 100% same] attached to the cable modem via a hub. The other PC never had this trouble while this one gave me a tough time. Having clue and less knwoledge I tried reinstalling again and again and IT WORKED.

thx.
Shambhu.

Old 04-23-2001, 05:26 AM   #5
RayBonz
LQ Newbie

Cool

Could you please elaborate on that 2 line script you referred to?
Thanx,
Ray

Old 04-24-2001, 06:42 AM   #6
andyn
LQ Newbie

Need Help with DSL on Linux

Hey all,
I am trying to get my DSL connection with Earthlink to work.
I believe i have my ethernet card configured correctly.
It shows up on ifconfig eth0, in netcfg it has no IP address and does not come up on boot(both recommended with pppoe).
I have pppoe from roaring penguin. I used the adsl-setup
script and filled everything out. When I used adsl-start
it looks for a connection but then times out..
any suggestions?
Thanks
Andy

Old 04-24-2001, 07:39 AM   #7
raz

Rep: Reputation: 31
andyn,

I would scrap all that and start again.
First of all some questions:

1) What kind of access are you going to do, NAT or just direct from the linux box. "i.e are you wanting to use your linux box as a router via a windozes system ?"

2) have you been giving a external static IP address from eathlink or dynamic ?

3) what verison of linux you talking about?

/Raz

Old 04-24-2001, 05:54 PM   #8
andyn
LQ Newbie

Thanks for the reply.
Actually I have been talking with other friends and they have suggested the following:
I have two HP pavillions. One runs win98 the other is dual boot win98/linux(RedHat 7.0, kernel is 2.2 I believe). Since I want DSL access for both machines,
I should get a DSL router. In this way I may be able to get around the problems I was having and provide internet access to both machines.
I have been on a steep learning curve today learning quite a bit about networking.
This is what I gathered. The internet provider uses pppoe and assigns dynamic IP address.
The router can use DHCP to get the internet connection. I can set up a LAN consisting of the router and the two machines using IP address range set aside for private use.

Now the only problem seems to be which DSL router should I get and if my computers are physically far a part (one on the 2nd floor, other in the basement) is it worth it to spend the extra cash on wireless network?

Thanks for listening
andy

Old 04-24-2001, 10:03 PM   #9
andyn
LQ Newbie

configuring ethernet card

Raz,
I decided to go back to some of the HOWTO's and see if my ethernet card is working. So far it doesnt look that way.
When i boot up i dont see any messages that the ethernet card (HP EN1207D TX PCI 10/100, Accton Technology) was recognized by the kernel
(2.2, RedHat 7.0).
One list said that the rtl8139 module can be used and this
is what is listed in /etc/modules.conf with options i/o=1400 irq=225

when i do ifconfig eth0 i get the error message cant' find device.
I have seen ifconfig eth0 down, written somewhere and decided to try that.
if i try /sbin/modprobe rtl8139 it works
ifconfig eth0 then gives me the expected output

So I am not sure what it going on
Andy

Old 04-25-2001, 04:25 AM   #10
raz

Rep: Reputation: 31
Andyn,

Before you manually change the modprobe, type this in and see what it says:

modprobe --showconfig | grep eth0
This is what it's actually loaded as a kernel module.

If that module is not working correctly with your card then edit the modules.conf file with the rtl8139 info.

Here's the source code for it if your interested.
http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.c

Other points to check are:
Check your dmesg output for errors on the card.
Check your rc.local file for correct IP setting. "i.e must get subnet mask correct"
If your kernel is older then 2.2.12 then it will have a memory leak error with that driver.

Good luck,
Raz

Old 04-26-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
andyn
LQ Newbie

Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, i keep having two switch operating systems to respond..but

it looks like the module doesnt load on boot, i think i have it set that way. initially i get a no device error
when i do ifconfig eth0. I then load the module with
modprobe and it loads.
if I try ifconfig eth0 up i get a sometingFLAGS: device temporarily unavailable.

right now i have no ip setting or subnet because i was
trying to follow instructions from the adsl-setup script.

my kernel is 2.2.16

Is this an irq conflict problem?

In windoze irq 9 is shared with two items other than
the ethernet card
"ACPI IRQ holder for PCI steering"
"SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus"

Is there anyway to fix this?
Andy

Old 04-26-2001, 06:12 PM   #12
andyn
LQ Newbie

Nevermind!!
I got the card to work, i think.
i went into bios and reserved irq 9 for legacy isa.
When I booted in linux, it detected the card and configured it.
after boot ifconig eth0 showed the card
and ifconfig eth0 up works!

Now my problem is to get my adsl connection to work

I used the adsl-setup script from roaring penquin, but the
connection timed out.
I have earthlink which uses ppoe. In windows you dont put any info in, no IP, no DNS servers..
I did take a peek at the Mac poet (program for adsl connection) and they have the tcp/ip configured like this
IP 192.0.0.1
subnet mask(i think thats what its called) 255.255.255.0
name servers
" " .77.82 ....

hope that helps
Andy
P.S earthlink does not off linux support

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your patience
Andy

Old 04-30-2001, 09:21 PM   #13
rabidundead

Distribution: Trying to get GENTOO 2004.2 INSTALLED... Weeeee!!!!

Rep: Reputation: 15
Cool ADSL Tech Support guy at your service!

i work for a BELL COMMUNICATIONS DSL PROVIDER as a tech support agent(can't disclose the actual name, legal stuff). just happen to know a few things about adsl. if you still need help on this problem, here goes.

first to clear up some things...

the subnet mask is always 255.255.255.0 for PPPoE setups

in normal setups on a windoze box, you must bind tcp/ip to the network card and the 'virtual adapter - PPPoE adapter' in network properties. thiere is sometimes a binding problem that occurs that causes your connection's DNS not to resolve your ip address using the tcp/ip protocol. this could be happening to you.

normally if you set the card to use another protocol like Microsoft's NetBEUI protocol, and then delete all instances of TCP/IP from the network adapters and reload your kernel, then replace NetBEUI with TCP/IP and delete NetBEUI then it forces your ethernet card to be bound cleanly with the TCP/IP protocol.

this is the number one problem for timeouts on an adsl line.

just be sure to reload the kernel again after setting the card to TCP/IP protocol. this may allow your card to talk to the primary DNS about accepting your IP.

I'm assuming you have a static IP (that is, you have a permanent one that does not change after every reboot)

if not, just make sure you have not specified the IP in NetConf, just leave it to your DNS server to release an IP to your box for you.

--

another possibility is that you have not been built correctly into your ISP Router or DNS servers (often the same machine on their end).

If they don't support linux, fake a windows system. tell them you have windows 98, have 'sync' and have already set your network settings for your ethernet card and PPPoE adapter, and that you have also tried to 'force DNS' through the secondary DNS server address. Then tell them you have set your Internet Explorer 5.0 to Never Dial A Connection, and that you hate AOL (they love that) and that you want to make sure that you are built into the router correctly.

they may want you to run a ping or a tracert.

i suggest you try to do so with your linux ping and trace route tools at the command line.

when you run the trace route, it will return the addresses (or hops) that it takes to the router. try to trace route to yahoo.com - then tell them exactly what IP address you reach immediately before the connection times out(stops returning results.) .... i use yahoo in all my tests, because its up 99.9% of the time and can be easily pinged and tracerouted at its 'friendly' firewall.

i'll bet it reaches some eathlink sub-routing station within earthlink's network, then times out. THAT is a clear indicator that its their ISP Router configuration. if they don't see anything wrong, have them RIP it out and rebuild you in the router, it is your right as a paying customer. they do it all day long anyway.

Hope i've been of some use!

Later

--

PS...

I have an: HP EN 1270D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter, and can't find a driver. i don't know for sure, but i think it is a pretty standard card type. i wonder if anyone out there knew if it will run on /is compatible with a known driver for kernel 2.4.x in the new Mandrake 8.0 ?

Also, it recognizes this card as an Acton, but that's not what it is. is this just HardDrake's best guess?

Info, please! And finally, i have the same problem with my eth0 module not being detected by modprobe. how do you get it to find eth0?

Andyn, maybe you could elaborate on how you did it in the prior reply?

IS THERE ANY WAY TO RESERVE THE ICQ WITHIN LINUX ?????????, i can't get to my bios config. i have it superceeded by ezbios, whose config is only a message screen and a chance to boot from floppy!!!!! (i really don't want to rip it out, i just got the system stable on a Win ME system. tricky,tricky config. don't want to lose control of my second hard disk, that would leave me with a big problem.)

---

Old 05-01-2001, 06:16 AM   #14
andyn
LQ Newbie

Rabid,
I can only share what I learned. Your HP card has an Accton
chip that is why it shows up as Accton. The way i got it work was to reserve irq 9 in bios. Since you have a different bios I am not sure how to do it. Once I did that linux saw my card and configured it automatically.

in windows you can see what irq it has by going to the system tools there is one that shows all the DMA/IRQ/IO usage.

Hope that helps
Andy
p.s.
I got my adsl to work fine now

Old 05-01-2001, 11:50 AM   #15
rabidundead

Distribution: Trying to get GENTOO 2004.2 INSTALLED... Weeeee!!!!

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy did that still no find

also have sound card at irq9 with my ethernet card. bunch of acsi contollers all sharing irq9!
have irq5 free in the listing though. is there some way to reassign irq5 to the sound card and just have irq9 for the etho. if i reserve both will it let me pick one for the sound card in windows when i make irq5 available. will the eth0 card work in irq5?

maybe someone else give me some help? details please!