LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2000, 11:45 AM   #1
Magnetic Flux
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry

I don't understand how modules work. What’s the difference in compiling them into the kernel and using mod-config?
If I don't compile a module into the kernel then can I add it later by using mod-config and if so is it just added or is it built in?
I'm confused.
Can someone help me understand this stuff?

Old 10-14-2000, 12:02 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
If you compile something into the kernel it is in there for good. It cannot be removed even if you do not use it. If you compile it in as a module it can be added or removed at any time (no reboot necessary). This is an extremely simplified answer, so if you would like a more in depth technical answer let me know.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2000, 02:13 AM   #3
Eduardo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I would like to konw how Linux load a module?
Can someone explain me what is mod-config and how it works?
What are the steps of the kernel to load a module?
Can you give me an idea (small project) to see how the kernel works when loading a module?
Thanks
Eduardo Santos

Old 05-19-2002, 06:06 AM   #4
MasterC
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu ; CentOS ; Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
If you compile something into the kernel it is in there for good. It cannot be removed even if you do not use it. If you compile it in as a module it can be added or removed at any time (no reboot necessary). This is an extremely simplified answer, so if you would like a more in depth technical answer let me know.
So if I don't compile anything into the kernel, will my system still run good by just modprobing itself with the kernel auto module thing?

Old 05-20-2002, 06:49 AM   #5
rverlander

Distribution: A few

Rep: Reputation: 30
omg this thread is 2 years old

Old 05-24-2002, 05:27 AM   #6
MasterC
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu ; CentOS ; Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 69
yeah, I was going back to the beginning to see if I could get some help from the early days. Found a few posts that were relevant (and instead of double posting or reposting) I just replied to the post that was 2 years old. Nice to see the past though, it's cool. You shoul all check it out if you have some time.

Anyway, does anyone know if I can do what I was asking? When I build a kernel, can I just make everything module and my system will still work just fine?

Old 05-24-2002, 06:09 AM   #7
Brion

Distribution: LinuxFromScratch

Rep: Reputation: 15
u can't build everything as modules, but with most things it's ok

just be sure to compile filesystem support for ur / partition _into_ the kernel and not as a module