LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2001, 02:05 PM   #1
Carel
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

I installed Linux last week and got a few Linux books.
Have not been able to find info on how program "paths" are handled. In DOS one either has to be in the directory where the program resides or one has to specify a path in the autoexec.bat file. Could someone please direct me to some info on how this works in Linux?

Old 04-09-2001, 02:28 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Usually you type the full path of where the program resides or if your in the directory already. You can also create aliases and such.
Most of the time, I am in the directory on which the program is in and type ./program-name-here

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2001, 09:39 PM   #3
Carel
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Question

Thanks for that explanation. I am still a little bit mystified though: For instance the command mkbootdisk is in the directory /sbin, but when I am in the root-directory it will run anyhow. So is there some equivalent of a DOS "path" command in Linux?

Old 04-10-2001, 07:28 AM   #4
Copenhagen Cowboy

Rep: Reputation: 15
The reason it will run from the root directory is because it is already set as an alias. You can check for sure by typing "alias" at the prompt.

Old 04-11-2001, 06:03 AM   #5
NGene

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 16
There is a file where the PATH and aliases are specified. It may be a file called .bashrc or .bash_profile in your home directory, or it can be /etc/bashrc. I'm posting this from a Winblows machine so I can't check for the exact file name but I think it's one of these.

Old 04-11-2001, 10:57 AM   #6
Carel
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks to the three above who answered. That explains most of it. I am still curious though, how the root knows if it should look for .bash_profile or /etc/bashrc. There has to be SOMETHING that specifies where root should look...? Or does it first look for .bash_profile and if that is not there it looks for /etc/bashrc. I am trying to get some basic understanding for the mechanics here. Because I don't know how this stuff works under Linux, I had to spend a lot of time to figure out that giving a command from the /root is different from doing it from root@localhost /root. (I still don't know why). I could not get mkbootdisk to work from root@localhost but finally got it to work by logging in at the root. If this sounds confused it is because I am..