LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2001, 08:23 AM   #1
lewy
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry

plz to god will someone help me!
im completely new to linux and having trouble getting linux to display pretty graphics and windows on my screen.
at installation i have selected the monitor i have, the gf2 graphics card was good enough to be detected, i have entered the amount of memory it has and the resolution of the monitor. i have also tryed switching monitors, probing (which fails to detect anything), and running at basic resolutions. none of which works.
in the end i finish installation and type startx, of course it fails, and sends a big fat error message, some of which i cant see because it goes off the screen.
what am i doing wrong?

Old 06-05-2001, 08:35 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
sounds to me your video card is not fully supported or might have some problems. you want to go to the http://www.xfree86.org site to see a hardware compatiblity list and see if your card is supported under a specific driver and or version of xfree86 with updates for your video card.
also check out http://www.linuxdocs.org for details getting that card to work in the howto's, i think therehave been some problems with the gf2 cards.

[Edited by trickykid on 06-05-2001 at 09:37 AM]