LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2001, 07:29 AM   #1
mwmethe
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake, RedHat

Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs down

I am kinda new to Linux. I am running Mandrake 7.1... I have my web server and also sendmail running. Using Pine at the console I able send and recieve email to and from my domain. When I do a netstat -a --inet, there is nothing listening on port 110. If try to start ipop3d, I get '+OK POP3 bigbird v7.64 server ready'. I open another console and do a netstat -a --inet and there is still nothing listening on port 110. This is very confusuing and I cant seem to find any good docs on configuring sendmail with POP3. I want to be able to check the mail on my linux box from anywhere without ssh'ing in. I want to use outlook or outlook express. I also want to get webmail up and running which requires POP3. I cant seem to get there. Any help will appreciated...

Thanks All

Old 06-08-2001, 10:06 PM   #2
crabboy

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Arrow

configure your in.pop3d to run from inetd. Make sure that pop3 is in the /etc/services file. Then edit your /etc/inetd.conf file and uncomment the pop3 line, if it's commented. Mine looks somethink like this:

pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.pop3d

Save the file, then send the inetd process a HUP signal:

kill -HUP <pid of inetd>

This will tell inetd to reread the configuration file. Next time a request comes into 110 ie. Outlook, it will spawn a in.pop3d process to send your mail to Outlook. Make sure you have your username and password setup correctly. And if you are running a firewall make sure the port is open.

I also run a web mail client. The client I have does not require a POP3 process. It reads my mail files directly.

Also, sendmail does not have to be configured to coexist with POP. They are entirly seperate.

Good Luck

Gary