LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2001, 06:12 PM   #1
mtiroff
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Hi - Redhat Linux 7.1 is up and running fine, but I am having a problem mounting the CD-ROM. There is an error message: "Not a valid block device" when I try to mount it using the command: mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

I followed the advice of one Internet how-to and used the dmesg command - it showed this interesting entry: "hdc: No device driver found" (or something like that)
That is the last entry for the command, although earlier it does detect the CD-ROM drive: "hdc: Compaq CRD-8322B..."

Sure enough, my CD-ROM drive is an IDE/ATAPI compliant device. How can I gain access to my CD-ROM drive in Linux? P.S. - when the OS is booting, it fails to complete this part of the boot: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.2-2Boot/modules.dep for writing [FAILED] Can you help me to get access to my CD-ROM drive???

Old 06-15-2001, 06:45 PM   #2
d3funct

Rep: Reputation: 31
Lightbulb

Well, do an ls -l on /lib/modules and see if you find the directory "2.4.2-Boot" or if you see some other one, like "2.4.2-2" If you don't see "2.4.2-Boot" but do see "2.4.2-2" (By the way the last number could be someother number). Then try this:
cd /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/
ls -l you should see a listing of directories of the devices that drivers were compiled for.
cd cdrom (if the cdrom directory exists)
ls -l (you should see the driver files for the cdrom)

After doing this you've verified that your cdrom modules do exist but that the system is looking for them in the wrong place. All you have to do now is make a link to the 2.4.2-2 directory, like this:

ln -s /lib/modules/2.4.2-2 2.4.2-Boot

Now when you boot and the system looks for 2.4.2-Boot it will find it and follow the link to the real module directory. NOTE: This is a quick fix to your problem (maybe), but you do need to find out why RedHat is looking for 2.4.2-Boot and not 2.4.2-2 as it has for all my boxes.

If it still doesn't work after doing the above try doing the following:

First look in /etc/fstab to see if there is an entry for the cdrom to be mounted. It should look something like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

If there is an entry similar to this you should be able to mount the cdrom with the command:

mount /mnt/cdrom

Hope this helps. :-)

Old 06-15-2001, 09:00 PM   #3
mtiroff
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I tried your suggestion - and sure enough it
does search the directory, but fails to load
the driver somehow....

On the basis of another HOW-TO I tried
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/cdrom/cdrom.o
to load the driver
(I have no clue if that actually should work...)
and I got these errors:

/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/cdrom.o:unresolved symbol proc_dointvec_Rffe493b6
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/cdrom.o:unresolved symbol register_sysctl_table_R63037e37
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/cdrom.o:unresolved symbol unregister_sysctl_table_R63722a44
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/cdrom.o:unresolved symbol proc_dostring_R2ff79b93

what should I try from here?