LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2001, 01:18 AM   #1
Wazza

Distribution: RedHat 7.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Ravings

Hello All.
Please forgive me if I'm raving, feel free to hit the back button on your browser if you like.
I'm currently studying IT part time at TAFE, and after a year am finally heading into networking, which I have a fascination for.
I tend to get enthusiastic with any subject regarding networks, even though I know little at present.
One area that really interests me is security, and using Linux is slowly teaching me some basics about how things work (for free of course)
When talking about IP Chains and firewalls to fellow students, I always joke about the fact that if anyone is stupid enough to find their way into my computer, good luck to them, and that it is just for learning purposes.
My thinking was that home computers would seldom be of interest to hackers, and after all, mine was just one in a million right?
After seeing a post from "Razbot" I realised that my firewall rules were around the wrong way if a truly paranoid firewall is to be installed.
I started chains with the accept policy, and then tried to work out what ports were open, learn how to close the ones I didn't need, and anything else I could learn about along the way.
Problem is, I don't know a lot, and as an example, didn't consider Trojans etc.
So I started again with Razbot's script in hand, and re did mine over, I guess the advantage now is that anything I don't know about has a chance of being stopped simply because all policies are DENY, and it made me learn, because anything that I wanted to pass through, I had to configure myself. (Thanks to Razbot)

With regards to my opinions about not caring if anyone hacked my computers at home,,,, my mind has changed forever, and I'm glad I changed my setup.
I started doing some reading about Trojans, and got so interested, that I downloaded one of the better known ones out there, just to see if the stories about computer intrusion were just folk law or for real.
With some protest from the rest of the family, I infected the kid's computer (Windows) and sat down at my desk with the client running.
I have to tell you, this program isn't just interesting, it's bloody scary.
I feel sorry for any person that gets infected with this thing, I feel sorry for anyone who has a web cam, and doesn't know he or she has an audience, or is doing online banking, while some jerk is recording their credit card number, password etc from across town or the other side of the world.
I feel sorry for any person that has the authorities knock on their door, because some site has just been hacked, and they traced it back to his or her computer.
Yep!!! I think there's going to be a good future for any person that is competent with network security, because the Web is still young, and times are changing.
Why break into a house and steal money, when you can do it from the comfort of your own computer chair?????

Just my two cents worth. (Sorry it's not Linux specific)

Ps. It's cold here in South Australia, I think it would be summer over there in America??? Enjoy.

Regards: Wazza