LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2001, 11:52 PM   #1
keegan1
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

I have a computer that I have recently removed RH6.0 Linux from and the LILO dual boot prompt still come up at bootup. I have formated the hard drive thinking it would start me from scratch, but the LILO: prompt still comes up. Is there a quick way to remove the LILO system from my MBR? When I first installed linux, I did so in the most standard way I could because I am not familiar with the nuances (newbie!). Let me know if you can help me.

Best regards,

d

Old 06-06-2001, 01:15 AM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by keegan1
I have a computer that I have recently removed RH6.0 Linux from and the LILO dual boot prompt still come up at bootup. I have formated the hard drive thinking it would start me from scratch, but the LILO: prompt still comes up. Is there a quick way to remove the LILO system from my MBR? When I first installed linux, I did so in the most standard way I could because I am not familiar with the nuances (newbie!). Let me know if you can help me.

Best regards,

d
As in you want ot go back to windows or something like that? just do this...

from a command prompt (boot to dos mode PLEASE as I don't trust anything that happens in the Windows console) type 'fdisk /MBR' (case used to be important and I'm not sure if it changed, but it won't hurt - it's what I use). This gets you back to the 'stadard' ( * cough * ) dos-like mbr that will boot straight to Winders as before.

Then do it again (in the same run session, you don't have to reboot). It's a bit of superstition but I swear there have been a few times when I'm sure I did it and it did not register the change. Really. Seriously. I'm sure of it.

Now reboot and - Presto! Back to a world of insane lisence agreements, no consumer protection, no legal recourse for failures. Aren't you glad you paid for it?

D.

Old 06-06-2001, 01:59 AM   #3
rabidundead

Distribution: Trying to get GENTOO 2004.2 INSTALLED... Weeeee!!!!

Rep: Reputation: 15
Exclamation hey mac

yeh, you, mcleodnine...

know what i think of your comments and critisism, and utterly frank opinion of 'winders'?????????????

huh?

do ya??

i like your attitude...

------

Rabid

"just when you thought you got all of the viruses off of your hard drive, lo and behold, that pesky windoze is still there!" :smash:

Old 06-06-2001, 02:42 AM   #4
mcleodnine

(phew! I was trenching in for a flame war there...)

It's not that I'm totally anti-windows, or pro GNU/Linux, but it's like this.

I've been using an old PII/233 with 128MB RAM, 3-10GB Fujis in a RAID5 array,which are on individual channels on two Promise Ultra ata/66 cards, ATI 8MB All-In-Wonder, and a nice 19 inch display. I did this beacuse; a) I can and b) I needed to put all the iron I could on the server farm. (The pIII 800/512MB was real nice tho).

I'm not spending al lot of time waiting.
I'm not getting crashed by lame apps like DirectCD/MS Office or a crippled network stack.
I don't have to reboot windows if I want to change my ip address/name server/hostname/domain/mind
I don't crash unexpectedly, or even crash much at all.
My printer doesn't kill my <everything>

Why do I like GNU/Linux? It does what it's supposed to do.

granted I've made more money from Windows clients, but this year I stopped supporting Outlook/Office(especially Access)/Explorer and most of the junky 'freeware/spyware' downloads. They get billed and a lecture the first time. After that I tell them to find some 13-year-old kid from the neighborhood to come in and set them up.

New clients get my lecture on things like consumer rights, legal issues, stability, interoperability, legal issues, copyright, and legal issues.

I would just as soon sell dioxins and nuclear warheads before I would sell micro$oft server goods.

I think it's time to pick on Oracle a little more, though. The bechmark thing still bugs me. And the ad-infinitum lisence possibilities.

Last week I was over my kid sister's place and when the '98 box there crashed _hard_ on me I was infuriated. Like I said - it's been a while since I've crashed.

Oh, yeah. One more thing.
..... "Thank you for calling Microsoft tech services. What is your credit card number please.

Old 06-06-2001, 03:10 AM   #5
rabidundead

Distribution: Trying to get GENTOO 2004.2 INSTALLED... Weeeee!!!!

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question where have i heard that before?

oh yeh...

when my windoze blue-screened me for the last time...

ok, so i don't get support unless i got credit? they sure didn't care 'bout that when i bought 98! (back before i knew better)

kind of like requiring a driver's license to purchase alcohol, huh? think about it.

i'm sorry, but you can't expect everyone out there to pay for what you messed up to begin with.

man, yu got it right with that plan, educate them poor souls out there. i try to everyday.

didn't mean to rattle your chain... oh who am i kidding, it was all in good fun. gotta keep people on their toes or that insomnia might wear off...

anyway, i gotta go to bed, i'm supposed to work tomarrow (today? technically) and have been a very bad boy by staying up this late... oh well, who needs sleep anyway?

zzzzzzzz.......

ok, that does it, gotta go to bed..

Later

-------

Rabid

"windoze - cuz you've got nothing but time....":smash:

Old 06-06-2001, 06:31 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
I don't think we should be critics towards any sole person wanting to use Windows. That makes us Linux people look bad. Whatever makes a person secure with whatever OS they want to use is okay by me cause I use what I like.
We should only educate on the pros and cons of each cause they do both have that.
I use Linux and prefer it, yes, it does everything that I need.
Oh well, I will go along now to another thread.......

But please no wars, we wouldn't want a bunch of Microsoft guys coming in here ruining our great forums with a bunch of crap they might have to say about Linux. The same goes for us, we shouldn't do it to them either. All we need to do is sit back and laugh on what they are missing out on.

Old 06-06-2001, 06:56 AM   #7
mcleodnine

Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
I don't think we should be critics towards any sole person wanting to use Windows. That makes us Linux people look bad. Whatever makes a person secure with whatever OS they want to use is okay by me cause I use what I like.
We should only educate on the pros and cons of each cause they do both have that.
I use Linux and prefer it, yes, it does everything that I need.
Oh well, I will go along now to another thread.......

But please no wars, we wouldn't want a bunch of Microsoft guys coming in here ruining our great forums with a bunch of crap they might have to say about Linux. The same goes for us, we shouldn't do it to them either. All we need to do is sit back and laugh on what they are missing out on.
Funny. I don't recall using the $ when I typed micro$oft in my post...

Old 06-06-2001, 06:58 AM   #8
mcleodnine

it did it again.
micro$oft
micro soft
micro-soft
Microsoft

That's pretty sneaky.

Old 06-06-2001, 07:19 AM   #9
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Hehe. Yeah I have seen mine do that to.

See, Microsoft is trying to take over the world and has infected linuxquestions.org.

TEST:

Microsoft
micro$oft

TEST:

Outcome, it only puts the $ sign in Microsoft when you type it in lowercase.

Old 06-10-2001, 11:35 PM   #10
keegan1
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
fdisk /MBR - Thank You!

Uh, Somehow I should have expected the onslaught of anti-Windows rhetoric, but FYI. I am giving the computer in question to a computer illiterate friend of mine and I don't think his brain could handle the responsibility associated with LINUX. Once I understand it better, I will probably put it on my new machine. I constantly had problems with LINUX on my old machine involving video drivers and sound drivers for my slightly esoteric choice in sound cards. Anyways...

Thank you for your feedback!

d

Old 06-12-2001, 04:10 AM   #11
Adversary
LQ Newbie

See,

This is what I like about Linux users.

We don't need to poke holes in Microsoft products to make our point.

We just let Microsoft do it for us.

Ads