android basic confusion

Dear Friends,
    I am about to buy my first "smart" phone and a bit confused after I visit a reseller. Please clarify few points.
    1)Android, being linux based, just as Meego, is it just like two different distro if I speak in terms of computer?
    2) Given that, android is open source, my reseller told me that I may or may not upgrade the android version(2.2/2.3 or the future release). Why it is so?
    3) Can I just install/reinstall Android as i do it with linux in my laptop?

I think these are preety basic question and most suitable answer is "RTFM"....but I am yet to find a know how in these.
    Plz help.
    NB.I know this is not the right devision to put a confusion.....but in absence of what we have in LQ_general, I posted it here. Jeremy may help move it to a suitable forum.

1)Android, being linux based, just as Meego, is it just like two different distro if I speak in terms of computer?
    I believe the only bit of Linux that Android uses is the kernel. Pretty much everything else is from Google.

2) Given that, android is open source, my reseller told me that I may or may not upgrade the android version(2.2/2.3 or the future release). Why it is so?
    Not sure I understand the question. A lot of Android phones have been left behind by upgrades because either their hardware isn't good enough for a new release or the phone manufacturer couldn't be bothered to upgrade for older phones. But Android being open source really has nothing to do with that.

3) Can I just install/reinstall Android as i do it with linux in my laptop?
    I think this is phone dependent. Installing Android requires root privileges, and not all phones can be hacked to get root. There is also a touch more danger in installing a new version of Android than putting on a new version of Linux. It is more akin to upgrading your laptop's BIOS than installing Linux. There is a slight risk that you can brick your phone.