Apps and apps market

Hi

New to Android, Can some one explain why if I want to get an app I have to download an app from which ever site I want to use eg, samsung app, 1mobile market app etc.
    Is there a way to just get apps I want without installing "some kind of tracker" or what ever it is.
    And if not What do these apps do.???

Device(s)
    Galaxy S III
    Hi Spiky0011,

I'm new too, but I'm new to everything, so forgive me if this seems a little too simple to be useful.

What you're asking is why we seem to have to download twice, or have to go to specific places and download "their" app to get access to the app we wanted in the first place.

It's just a feeling, not knowledge (-- yet!) but it seems that in order to be confident the app we want actually works on our phone it has to pass a lot of tests, and these other sites (samsung, android, etc) allow us to easily find the apps that passed the most basic tests. In Samsung's case, since they made the phone I'm using they'd have a good idea what that phone needs to see from any app to make the best use of it. Same with Google Play, because android is so googley, and well, you know it's kind of everywhere.

As I understand it, because it's open source, there's nothing stopping you learning to build the apps you want to use (though I'd love correction from anyone who actually knows what they're talking about!) so the best way I can think of to get exactly what you want is to learn to create it yourself. Next best is to talk to a creator you can trust and see how much it will cost. After that, we're back at the mall, removing the trust and becoming consumers of mass-produced stuff made by strangers with all the risk that entails -- like having governments and advertisers compare notes to see how much we're going to spend on them today, or where the next outbreak of whatever is happening.

But I took a look at the android developers' site and the references to anything like "trackers" all point to descriptions of how the app being built, say for example a compass, keeps itself pointing to North by comparing the geographic "tracks" it can follow. It will also be tracking the phone's orientation to me, which way the camera is pointing or where the closest cell tower is. So there are many different ways to think of tracking, and some are necessary to give you the phone service you're paying for, or the free compass pointing North, or the rich guys rich...

If it's a free app, and I'm using it after having accepted the conditions (trading my free use of the compass for advertising revenue to the creator -- all risk falling to me), it's seen as fair game for governments and advertising companies to use their trackers in the "free" app to track my behavior. For other kinds of trackers, you might talk to your government or other "big data" people about what they're doing with your information and how that might motivate bad guys to abuse it.

This is not a criticism of government or advertising, just a sketch of what it all looks like to me as I slowly wake up.

(Sorry. I was just trying to say a simple thing but it got all hairy. Short answer: Keep asking good questions.

Quote Originally Posted by spiky0011 View Post
    Hi

New to Android, Can some one explain why if I want to get an app I have to download an app from which ever site I want to use eg, samsung app, 1mobile market app etc.
    Is there a way to just get apps I want without installing "some kind of tracker" or what ever it is.
    And if not What do these apps do.???
    If the developer of that app has made the app available for download, then you can just download and install it yourself. This is called sideloading. But this is not recommended because the overwhelming majority of sideloaded apps are malware and using trusted sources like the Android store gives you a bit more protection.