Thread: Hey there!

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII

Cool Hey there!

Just logging in with my LQ account. I'm not an Android user as such, still using my trusty N900. However, I persuaded my wife to get a Nexus S as her first smart phone. After some initial "It's too difficult!" doubts, she seems to be loving it. As I did most of the setting up, I have to say something like that might replace my N900 one day..

I've got a question relating to security. I've seen a lot of 'opinion' that even the official marketplace is a risky place to be in terms of infecting your device with malware. What best practices would anyone recommend to keep a secure device?

Google seems to pretty diligent about catching suspicious apps lately, so there shouldn't be too much to worry about. If you want the peace of mind, you may look at something like Lookout Mobile Security. You should be able to find it in the market, and they have a website here:https://www.mylookout.com/

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII

Original Poster
    Thought I'd update this as I now have my own Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy SII. If you swing by my Linuxquestions blog, I posted a few thoughts on that but suffice it to say, I'm quite enjoying it.

You might notice from my blog post that I haven't mentioned mylookout. It's working great on my wife's phone but as yet I don't feel the need to install it on mine.