boot partition and recovery partition backup questions

My device is fully rooted, and I believe the bootloader has been unlocked from the factory. However, I still have the stock recovery image installed because my device is not supported by clockworkmod or twrp. However, I'm eventually going to try messing around with it. So, before I do anything, I want to back things up and make sure I can use the backups.

I used the following guide which helped me backup the boot and recovery partitions.
    http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...tition-images/
    I used "dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=4096" etc...
    I also did the same with romdump and a diff showed that the dd produced images and romdump images were identical.

So, I put these images on my pc and rebooted the phone into fastboot mode.
    Then I used the command:
    fastboot boot boot.img
    and
    fastboot boot recovery.img

both gave me these results:
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [ 1.348s]
    booting...
    FAILED (remote: incomplete bootimage)
    finished. total time: 1.350s

However, another file that I found on the phone at /system/recovery_from_boot.p produced these results:
    creating boot image...
    creating boot image - 905216 bytes
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [ 0.222s]
    booting...
    OKAY [ 0.038s]

However, the phone did nothing and I had to reboot the phone to get it out of fastboot mode.

So, what am I doing wrong here? If I can't use the backup images that I made to boot the phone, the seem to be fairly worthless....

p.s. My phone is a Pantech/Sky IM-A690S from South Korea

Sure, get an operatng system disk and install it. As long as the issue was not caused by a bad hard drive. You don't need a recovery partition or restore disks, but you do need some sort of an oprating system to install. You can get a restore disk from the PC vendor or borrow an OEM disk from someone and use your key.
    For more information about android recovery visit: http://www.android-recovery.net/

Last edited by BillEwing; 11-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillEwing View Post
    Sure, get an operatng system disk and install it. As long as the issue was not caused by a bad hard drive. You don't need a recovery partition or restore disks, but you do need some sort of an oprating system to install. You can get a restore disk from the PC vendor or borrow an OEM disk from someone and use your key.
    Hmm.... this doesn't answer the question at all.... I was talking about a cell phone which does not have a hard drive nor a CD rom drive. You do realize you are on AndroidQuestions.org right? It's for questions about Android (an OS for smart phones).