See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Google password change affecting Android

Hi,

I recently changed my Google account password via a PC believing that everything would be fine for my Android (expected a new password prompt).

The only option I can think of is to completely wipe my phone and start again but I really... don't want to do that. Has anybody managed to find a way for their Android to prompt for a new password input when it's failed to sync online?

Specifically, I get the "Google Talk authentication failed" message constantly but I'm sure other services must have been affected. My Samsung Galaxy S2 is running 2.2.3 gingerbread with the latest firmware.

Thanks for reading, really means a lot. I'm sure other people on the net have this problem.

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    If you reboot the phone and open either gmail or the market it should prompt you for the new password. If it doesn't, let us know.

--jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    If you reboot the phone and open either gmail or the market it should prompt you for the new password. If it doesn't, let us know.

--jeremy
    Thanks, yeah thats what I expected. But strangely Gmail just says that there is "no connection" at the bottom of the screen and android market just... works (from what I can see). No prompt at all.

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    If that didn't work, try the following:

In Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications
    - Click on GMail -> "Force Stop" then "Clear data"
    - Click on Google Apps -> "Force Stop", but DO NOT "Clear data"
    - Click on GMail Storage -> "Clear data"
    - Open the Gmail app and you should now be asked for your account information

If that still doesn't work you may want to just remove the account from Settings -> Accounts & sync and the re-add it.

--jeremy

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    If that didn't work, try the following:

In Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications
    - Click on GMail -> "Force Stop" then "Clear data"
    - Click on Google Apps -> "Force Stop", but DO NOT "Clear data"
    - Click on GMail Storage -> "Clear data"
    - Open the Gmail app and you should now be asked for your account information

If that still doesn't work you may want to just remove the account from Settings -> Accounts & sync and the re-add it.

--jeremy
    Well, nothing worked out with me. Ths sync method, the market method, this method...
    I have a HTC wildfire S with android 2.3.3

Is there any otjher solution?

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    There is a setting that enables auto restore from backup. If you disable that you might make some progress.

C'mon guys! GEEEZE!!! It's Android! The easiest Operating systems ever! You're overthinking it!
    Here's how it's done.
    1) Start Gmail email program on your Android phone
    2) From the INBOX (which any folder (LABEL) would probably work) scroll all the way to the bottom of all your emails and force it to do LOADING MORE
    3) After a few seconds, it bring the ATHENTICATION window open and allows you to type your NEW PASSWORD
    Now this is important but nowhere near as IMPORTANT as the last step.
    4) Email me and tell me how smart & wonderful I am, and finally,
    5) The next hopeless and/or homeless person you see that's hungry, buy'em a burger or chips or whole meal. I was both at the same time. Dirty and smelly but was never a trashy worthless bump. Just a guy who made a few bad choices but knew I was a human like you and was worth at least a meal. From the kindness of just one stranger, I'm on top of the world and employ several dozen people that are also no longer hungry and homeless; all because one stranger helped me to my feet. You'll never know what the smallest of things means to someone who has nothing. No matter what, PEOPLE will always be the best investment regardless the profit in this life!

Device(s)
    HTC Desire X telephone, Archos 80 G9 tablet.
    Thanks, radgrafx!

Yes, you are smart and wonderful and handsome/beautiful ... and you saved my bacon. I will do step (5) of your instructions as soon as I find a homeless person. Your advice was worth 10 euros to me, which should buy them a nice meal.

Happy new year!

Device(s)
    Mobile phone
    hey radgrafx,
    my humble, humble thanks to you for taking the time to post this answer above on how to log into an Android device after changing the Google password. I just spent several hours (as a total technical newbie) scouring the web for answers, just not believing what I was reading about removing Google first from my phone and then reinstalling. Everything you wrote above was totally correct. It WAS the answer. I am in your debt and will give something extra (over and above what I do) to the man who stands outside our supermarket every day. Every other day I run into someone who I feel can benefit from a little support. I do what I can, when I can. I am so glad for your situation. Thanks again for taking the time.

hello, I forgot the pattern password for my Samsung Galaxy S and Google dose not work

I treid many times and now it locked my pattern password and asks for username and password, but my Google user and pass are not working also. It says "Incorrect user name or password".
    Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by radgrafx View Post
    C'mon guys! GEEEZE!!! It's Android! The easiest Operating systems ever! You're overthinking it!
    Here's how it's done.
    1) Start Gmail email program on your Android phone
    2) From the INBOX (which any folder (LABEL) would probably work) scroll all the way to the bottom of all your emails and force it to do LOADING MORE
    3) After a few seconds, it bring the ATHENTICATION window open and allows you to type your NEW PASSWORD
    Now this is important but nowhere near as IMPORTANT as the last step.
    4) Email me and tell me how smart & wonderful I am, and finally,
    5) The next hopeless and/or homeless person you see that's hungry, buy'em a burger or chips or whole meal. I was both at the same time. Dirty and smelly but was never a trashy worthless bump. Just a guy who made a few bad choices but knew I was a human like you and was worth at least a meal. From the kindness of just one stranger, I'm on top of the world and employ several dozen people that are also no longer hungry and homeless; all because one stranger helped me to my feet. You'll never know what the smallest of things means to someone who has nothing. No matter what, PEOPLE will always be the best investment regardless the profit in this life!

This sound weird ! Gmail is blocked here. I got my data deleted after update was pushed out on my device. And it took me hours to fully recover the data on my phone.

Last edited by deplsucell; 11-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by augusto.ivo View Post
    Well, nothing worked out with me. Ths sync method, the market method, this method...
    I have a HTC wildfire S with android 2.3.3

Is there any otjher solution?
    Well, you can try heading out over to the settings>account and sync>tap over Google account>if you see any google account delete that and then again try adding new Google account over to your device by tapping the + button available on the top right corner.

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies