Device(s)
    LG G5 ASUS Fonepad 8

What does dual/quad core mean

Hi there,

I've been with Android phone for couple years now, I keep trade in upgrade when new phones with higher spec surfaced, but I'm puzzled about the spec of the phone regrading the no. of CPU in use.

I used few different brands including those cheap off brand China made models, they all claim to be 'dual core', but on the spec sheet it said a main CPU plus a GPU of lower clock rate in use, I don't agree this is really dual core, but this is common to see in the market place for low end phones. For those main stream models like HTC and Samsung, it seems they are really using dual or quad core, the same configuration like PC, Elixir which is a system inventory app reported multi CPU in use, but not always able to get the data on some phones, which also claimed dual core.

Now I got the HTC One X which is a quad core phone, it runs at slightly lower 1.5Ghz clock vs the One S 1.7Ghz dual core, but I don't see different between them, I believe even at lower clock rate, a quad core should runs notable faster then a dual core one, even bigger screen in use, and I've the same set of apps installed on both, any comment ?

Dual/Quad core refers to the number(s) of cores/transistors that they can fit on one Die (Silicone wafer). So you are actually Still getting a single processor device it just has mor processor cores per a single chip ( i.e. My Dell inspiron 1750 has an true duel/64bit processor in it).cat /prroc/cpuinfo

microcode : 0xa07
    cpu MHz : 1200.000
    cache size : 1024 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 1
    cpu cores : 2

Device(s)
    LG G5 ASUS Fonepad 8

Original Poster
    So, multi-core means multiple of same CPU on the same die in use, right ?

In simple language : Dual Core: Two cores / Quad Core: Four cores.